cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet Subscribers & Licensing

jtvedte
Level 1
Level 1

Do internet subscribers requrie a license?

We have a Vm only 3.1(5) system setup for a client, that desires to use internet subscribers for low usage VM accounts - school system -

Anything I've read is that internet subscribers do not require a license -

Correct/Incorrect - could a URL please be provided for documentation purposes....

thanks

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

SMTP Internet subscribers don't require a license (although there was a bug in a couple versions where the SA would still require one even though it wasn't used).

Of course SMTP internet subscribers don't have mailboxes (their messages are direct to external systems) and you can't call in to check messages over the phone for them etc...

The networking guide (this link is for the latest 4.0(2) version) covers all forms of networking including SMTP networking and the use of internet subscribers:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_book09186a008014f7aa.html

should get you what you need to know.

BTW - we are having problems adding internet subscribers when current licensed users = licensed users. COS profile does not have any licensed features -

If current < licensed, I can add internet subscribers - the licensed user count does not increase (which is correct, as you have confirmed that they don't need a license).

TAC Case # D739284

Yeah, this is that bug I was talking about:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCdy13016&Submit=Search

you need at least one free license - the SA is making an unnecessary check for an available mail user up front when adding the internet subscriber, however it doesn't actually decrement the count after adding it.

TAC is saying this is fixed in 3.1(6) - any idea of timetable for that release?

Thanks

The last schedule for 3.1(6) I saw showed RTP in early May I believe