cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP 7960 on a home network

sjersa
Level 1
Level 1

Anybody using a hard phone at home over a vpn (dsl / cable) ? What's the best / most cost effective way to achieve this? Does Cisco have any plans to implement a vpn client on upcoming hard phones?

6 Replies 6

fc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, Scott -

We're using a couple of Cisco 7960's with the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) firmware installed and having good results with either a Cisco 806 router or a PIX-501 firewall with SIP (call setup) proxy services provided by Vonage.

Drop me an email (or give me a call so that you can judge the voice quality for yourself) and I'll be happy to get you an invitation for a free month trial.

All the best,

F C Wood

fc@wood.org

Neil Anderson
Level 1
Level 1

We use IP phones over VPN over DSL/Cable broadband access at Cisco for Teleworking. It can work quite well provided the right QoS tools are employed on the VPN Router to insure voice quality.

The Cisco 830 series routers are very nicely suited to the task.

By the way, if you plug your laptop into the Eth port on the 7960, the 7960 helps insure QoS protects voice quality.

Any other questions?

HI,

are you using T-DSL (Telekom)?

I have heard that the telekom uses an interleaving mechanism to reduce errors, so the delay has to be "very" high.

Regards Marcel

jvanick
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a 7960 hanging off my VPN enabled pix 501 over cable modem...

just turn off fixups on skinny and it will work just fine.

My call quality is so good my boss can't tell if I'm at home or at the office... with no QOS at all.

-J

dconstantino
Level 4
Level 4

Or you could get an addtional IP address form your Cable/DSL provider and hard code your alternate TFTP server into the phone and it works great. Or you could hard code IP, DNS , DGW, and Mask for a static setup. Beware some ISP's block TFTP and FTP ports because of security. So far all of the people I know at my company including myself have had no problems with Time Warner Road Runner or Bell South DSL. Do not go out and buy all of those routers and vpn boxes they are not needed just the modem your provider gives you.

I am trying to do this without a VPN and I can't get it to work. My callmanger is behind a firewall. I opened a port to allow the phone to connect. The problem is that the TFTP server sends the phone the internal ip of the callmanager. How can I override this to get it to work. The phone won't let me manually configure the Callmanager. Your help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Jpoulos