Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

IP 7960 Speed Dials

We have implemented Cisco VoIP 7960 phones in our firm. We are just finishing up the pilot. I have encountered a strange problem and that is:

Every time a user that is on the VoIP Pilot adds a speed dial via the CCMUSER webpage and they hit update, it resets the phone. The phone goes through the complete boot-up cycle each time. This was not happening before and it just started happening to all the phones. Any reason why this is happening? How would I resolve this?

Any help is greatly appreciated?

Thank you.

6 REPLIES

Re: IP 7960 Speed Dials

Beginning in CCM 4.0, resets/restarts were made automatic in several places. For example, in DN configuration you now see a warning at the top of the page which states "Note: Any update to this Directory Number automatically resets the associated devices". So when you update a DN, you don't have to click Reset, it's done for you automatically. This is also the case with speed dials. When you click Update, the phone gets restarted. In this case, you should be seeing a restart as opposed to a reset. You shouldn't see the phone Configuring IP, etc. It should just request its configuration file and reregister with CallManager.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

How long does a restart take versus a reset? [I'm not a Cisco IPT user, yet, but I will be soon.]

A restart is around 5 seconds. A reset is around 20-25. These are somewhat dependent on the connectivity between the phone and CallManager.

Brandon

Hello Brandon,

I do understand that when you update a speed dial it should do a restart, but a reset is happening. That is the reason i posted. I do not want it to reset after each speed dial is entered. Is there a setting in CallManager that tells it to do this?

I want to fix this as it was not happening before.

Thanks.

Dakshash

Cisco Employee

Updating speed dials just refreshes the screen on the phone - if you aren't looking close you'll miss it. I don't know what the issue is here. I suggest opening a TAC case. I'm sure they'll need to look into the CCM version, the phone firmware version, what the locale setting is on the phone and what has changed since it was working correctly.

Just as an FYI. I have worked on many different types of phone systems. On all of them the phone briefly resets when a change is made to it. Some of them will wait until the phone is idle to preform the reset. I believe this is the case with the CCM. I do not believe it will drop the call in order to do the restart.

Views
Helpful
Replies