Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

IP Communicator and multiple mac's

An IP communicator question. When you register a softphone with the callmanager (4.1(3)) and associate the phone number with a mac address, how do you deal with a mac for the wired port, a mac for the wireless card and coming soon a built in cellular wireless that may also have another mac address? I know I can add both (maybe 3) macs and share the number but then doesn't that mean I have extra phones listed, one for each mac? Is there a way around this that I have not found yet? Thanks in advance.

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: IP Communicator and multiple mac's

If you have more than one Network interface on your PC, you should still be ok. Determine which interface is part of the motherboard (or the most permenant one) and use that MAC address to configure your IPC and also the CCM. When you pull up IPC, there is an option in network settings (press alt s) where it tells you which network card's mac address has been used to register your IPC.

It is not necessary to send frames out this network card to register or for the media. If you go to audio and then go to network, you will notice the default is "audio ip address detect automatically". This will use the best network address as the source address.

For example, in my case, i have registered my IPC with the LAN address of my laptop. However, I seldom use the LAN adaptor. I always use my wireless card. But IPC just works fine :)

Re: IP Communicator and multiple mac's

Thanks for the response. I just played around with that a little bit (nice little test lab with CCM). I had auto register turned on and when I changed the network setting (alt s) I registered but on the CCM it did indeed create another entry and gave the IPC a new phone number. I turned off Auto register on CCM, removed the new phone entry from CCM then went to IPC to use the other nic again and got a DB error - it could not create another device. My concern is on the CCM side, not really on the IPC side, well, it is as far as a phone number goes. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.