cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Multicating

rmalta
Level 1
Level 1

Can I use IP Multicast in a router to delivery stream in a Local Area Network? Is it necessary having switch connected to the router? How can I configure the router?

3 Replies 3

f.campos
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I don't know if I understood well your question, but apart from that, you shall use IP multicast in a router if the senders and receivers of the Multicast are connected in different LAN. So you have to configure some layer 3 Multicast protocol like the PIM.

However, if the all senders and receivers are located in same LAN, you do not need configure Multicast in a Router, but if you want to optimize (what its recommended) the Multicast traffic in your LAN, you can configure layer 2 Multicast protocol like CGMP (include the router) or IGMP Snooping.

Hi,

Is there a way to enable multicsting over the regualr internet and not the mbone by changing the ports used by the source?

thanks

The WWW cannot leverage multicast except via mbone. You can however tunnel multicast traffic in a unicast stream to use the internet as transport which can then be unencapsulated at the far end and multicast across a LAN. The Cisco IPTV product supports this function for example using a feature called 'SmallCast'