cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone 7960 at non-cisco switch

gogie
Level 1
Level 1

I can not make 7960 IP phone work while connecting to other wendor switch, also it would not work with catalyst 1900, altough with catalyst 3550 it has no porblem. Is there any way to make phone work with other vendor switch?

Are other IP phone models having same problems with switches not supporting CDP or 801.1q/p?

4 Replies 4

sbilgi
Level 5
Level 5

The IP phone negotiates the trunking parameters with the switch using CDP(which is Cisco proprietary) , so the switch needs to support CDP for this to work. This is the reason why in your case ip phone is not working with a non-cisco phone.

danbaker68
Level 1
Level 1

I've got many 7960's to work on other vendor switches. Works on a Dell a Netgear and another that I don't remember what vendor it was. Of course, you need external power. Otherwise, if the phone can communicate with Call Manager and get an IP address then there should be no problem. We've got the phones to work in other offices across the country with a non-cisco VPN and no other Cisco equipment beyond the 7960 and power supply.

I agree, I have over a dozen phones spread out over the country using just the phone, power adapter and a non cisco VPN. The one thing you have to make sure you do before you deploy the phone is to change the alternate TFTP server setting (#32)from "NO" to "YES". Then make sure the TFTP server (#8) has the correct IP address of the TFTP server. The phone will pick up an IP address from that sites DHCP server.

Hope this helps

wright-david
Level 1
Level 1

If you have a trunk with the phone in a different vlan to the PC connected to the phone, then you will need to set the Admin VLAN (network config, option 20), so the phone knows what vlan it should be in since it cannot learn this via CDP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: