cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone 7960

felecia
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco IP Phones will drop/echo/lose connection. I've already installed cos. could there be something that I'm forgetting. This is a 1000+ ip phone network. When I look at the configurations I see some runts. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

5 Replies 5

mschlenger
Level 3
Level 3

If you are talking about runts, I'll assume you are working with a 3524/3548 catalyst switch. It is a known bug in 12.05 something software and is merely a cosmetic issue. I've run into the same problem multiple times.

You might want to look at diabling portfast on those ports connected to IP phones, both on the 3524 and the IP phone itself if you are running 3.07 CCM or higher. If the echo is only on outbound PSTN calls, try looking at CCM services. Turn silence supression to FALSE.

My network has some 3524/3548 switches as well as 2912,2980 and 4000 switches. I will look at the bug issue as well as the CCM services. Should I change my code? I was told today that the PC's connected to the phones are dropping, I have in line pwr supplies connecting most of my network, can a in line pwr supply recycle?

There are a couple of things to check here. On the switch side, check to see if portfast has been enabled on all ports connected to 7960 phones. (syntax: switch(config-if)# spantree portfast) Once this has been done, look on the 7960's as well and make sure you have "forward delay" turned off under each phone. Its one of the last items under network configuration on the phone. That should help your situation.

Mike Schlenger

Are there many errors with CM ver 3.07? I've been told that I should upgrade the code. Also for the last few nights some switches have been dropping at 2 in the am. Is this a switch issue or a CM issue?

If you are experiencing issues, I would move to 3.08. There are some bug fixes and new features. As for you switches randomly dropping at 2am, I'm not sure. You either have a hardware issue or possibly a design issue. Post more information of the design.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: