Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IP Phone - Compression Type Error

Greetings,

I am having a bit of a trouble with an IP Phone and decided to try the forums :)

I have a Cisco IP Phone (7940) with FW of P00303020700 on Call Manager 3.2.3 w/ES 08. I have been receiving the message "Compression Type Error" whenever I connect the phone into the network. It receives an address from the DHCP pool without a problem. A ping -t <IP Address> gives a series of responses then a series of time-outs over and over and over again. I initially thought it was a hardware problem and sent it off to be repaired. The phone came back to me as working before repair. I then connected the phone to my network and received the exact same error with the exact same ping problem.

When viewing the IP Address of the phone in a web browser to see if I can notice and problem, I look at the Debug Display option and this string appears over and over.

0x810D, 0x0, 0x12300800

0x810D, 0x0, 0x12300800

0x810D, 0x0, 0x12300800

0x810D, 0x0, 0x12300800

I then took the phone to a company that has Cisco IP Phones so I can see if it would work on their network. They are running Call Manager 3.3. To my disbelief, the phone upgraded its FW, rebooted, and came online. I did not know what to think so I left the phone there for a few minutes. Powered the phone down, brought it back up, and the phone was working perfectly.

I then brought the phone back to my network, it downgraded the FW, rebooted, and gave me the same error of "Compression Type Error" with the same ping responses as I mentioned above.

I am at a loss here as to what could be causing this. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks

-G

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: IP Phone - Compression Type Error

Hmmm..the best way to see what a phone is doing on bootup is to sniff the ethernet port on the phone as it comes up with a sniffer that will catch the tagged frames. You could also get the latest devpack fro ccm 3.2 that will have new phone loads and see if the phone finds the new load and upgrades correctly. Sniffing is the best way, though.

Re: IP Phone - Compression Type Error

Thanks for the reply. I have used Ethereal to sniff the port and the packets captured only have shown DNS query to the Call Manager.

I then tried an old phone load for that one phone only and it updated its FW to

P00303020215 and the phone has not given the same problem as before once.

I have downloaded the Multi-fix Patch including CCM.exe, Cisco TSP, JTAPI, CTI Manager, & gateway firmware for CM 3.2.(3) - ciscocm-ffu.3-2-3-sr1.exe.

- Will this include the latest FW in this patch?

Any ideas why that one particular phone will not load with the FW of P00303020700 but will load with P00303020215?

Thanks!

-G

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content