cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP phone from Home?

stawse
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to find out how to use my 7660 phone at home over my broadband connection. We have a Pix 525 as our Firewall and VPN. I would like to know if I need additional hardware or just changes in my config. Thanks in advance.

21 Replies 21

Can you send me a sample config of your 806 router? I'm trying to do this on the 827 but with no avail. Although it may be an issue on our PIX515 configs as well. Is there anything special needed there?

omairnaim1
Level 1
Level 1

well your question is not specific, because there is not way you can plug in ip phone without not having any kind of call manager or keyswitch router.

regards

omair

The IP phone accesses the CallManager through a VPN tunnel back at the office. The DHCP server that the IP Phone uses to get it's address also needs DHCP option 150 set to the CallManager's ip address. It is possible to use one CallManager for several sites. Cisco calls this Centralized Call Processing. Our company only has about 300 phones and one CallManager can handle 2500 phones (current limit).

hi

has anybody tried this with checkpoint VPN...i was able to get to the Phone seeing the server but the TFTP kept timing out

Thanks

abb-dekis
Level 1
Level 1

We have tested the IP Phone 7960 (and also the Cisco IP Softphone) with a 803 Router (HomeOffice Solution, Problems here are the link costs)and with a Cisco 3002 Hardware Client (VPN Connection)as well, and it works fine.

Is it possible to get a copy of both configs from you? We have this working, but are experience various subtle problems. Would love to be able to compare configs to ensure we haven't left anything out.

Thanks.

jriley@infostream.ca

jhinton
Level 4
Level 4

Given that a secure tunnel is set up between two PIX firewalls over the Internet, and an IP phone is placed at one end and a Callmanager at the other, can anyone expand on what effect encrypting an IP phone call has on voice quality?

I always thought that runing voice through an IP sec tunnel had an effect on quality of voice because of the latency and delay introduced by the encryption-deencryption process. Is this no-longer true?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: