cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone hookswitch

ROBERT Clark
Level 1
Level 1

I was curious to see if there are other people experiencing problems with Cisco IP phones not going off hook when the handset is lifted. Answering the phone via the speaker or "answer" soft key options work fine. I know that Cisco has a white paper detailing the problem as well as the fix, but it seems to be happening to an increasing number of our phones lately. thanks.

-R

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a00801c0810.shtml

4 Replies 4

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

In my experience, the cradle clip being in the wall mount position on a desk phone causes most of the problems.

Once I convinced the techs(and a few users) that it needed to be down, we quit having problems. In 3 years with 1300 installed phones I have seen 2 actual bad hookswitches.

Dave

you must be lucky!, I have about 1000 phones mixture 7910s and 7960s some getting on for 6 years old. I am seeing an increasing number of the "off hook" problem, following the prodedure in the white paper does not always work, so I take the phones apart and clean the contacts with Alcohol. this seems to fix them up I am now monitoring to see if I get any of those back.

I think its about time Cisco came up with a proper fix for this!!

I had this problem with some 7970's , and when the problem was not the cradle, I reset them and that solved the problem.

ischarcm
Level 1
Level 1

yes I have had multiple switchhook issues with 700 phones installed, i've experienced more than a dozen plus in a couple years. Very few of them were actually the tab turned up.. most in my opinion are defective manufacturing.

Another problem is the kickstand breaking.. I realize if you lean on just about anything you can break it, but it doesn't seem to be too rugged at all