Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IP Phone Serial Numbers (INMOXXXXXXX)

I am hoping Cisco will review this feature enhancement request;

We recently did an inventory audit by hand of 7960s; we walked through all ours sites and picked up every IP phone to write the serial number from the base of the phone. Due to a inventory discrepancy, we are needing to re-audit these sites to find 40 phones we can’t account for. This error will result in hundreds of hours in labor.

While CallManager 3.2 allows you to http into a phone and view the serial number, there are no tools to be able to get a network wide listing of serial numbers.

This means that in CiscoWorks 2000 you can’t inventory them, check Contract Connection, or do anything else.

It would be a great feature enhancement if CiscoWorks 2000 or CallManager could somehow inventory these by Serial numbers (our leasing company (Cisco Capital) only uses Serial numbers, not MAC addresses).

The OA&M section in the Telephony Design Guide recommends developing a database for this. We had hoped CiscoWorks 2000 could be that tool. The Campus Manager – User Tracking Tool (UT) keeps phone device records but lacks the Serial Numbers. I’m am not sure what it would take to enhance the UT. Serial number discovery currently works for routers/switches.

Thank you

1 REPLY

Re: IP Phone Serial Numbers (INMOXXXXXXX)

That seems like a great idea. You should talk to your Systems Engineer at Cisco or at least the TAC and have them file an official enhancement request. Make sure you get a bug ID number from them so you can track it and see what happens with it. When you file the request, can you post the bug ID here so I can watch it too? Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content