Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bronze

IP Phone solution for school , colllege, university

Hi all,

What I want to hear is that how to provide communications to students.

Does anyone implement VoIP solution for any school, college, university.

Not only staff, but also for students and dorm.

It is not necssary to use Cisco product, anything like Skypee, Packet8, Vonage, softphone, etc. OR even provide cell phone to students.

All products has their strength and weakness....

I want to see how you guys approach and achieve your goal.

Thanks

Ken

7 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: IP Phone solution for school , colllege, university

Ken,

You should be more specific as to what issues you are concerend about. I have deployed plenty of phones in the market you describe but what are your specific requirements?

Steve

Regards,
Steve
Please rate all helpful posts.
Bronze

I guess my question is more for ROI.

What is the best way to provide communications system to student at campus, dorm? What we want to provide the cheapest way to provide phone services to students.

Old fashion way, students bring their anology phone to dorm, and pay their monthly bill.

I want to create new fashion way to bring in VoIP to students.

I know I can use CME, CUE, CMM, Unity, IP Phone, IP Communicator at students' laptop with billing system. But is it the most cost-effective way???

I just to hear from people at this Forum that bring VoIP to students and dorms, other than OLD fashion way.

Ken

Bronze

cisco solution requires a LOT of babysitting, esp on windows platform. the bigger it is the more internal resources are required to support and maintain. also, consultants are very costly.

Ken,

I will suggest that you get in touch with one of the Cisco partners. They will ask you specific questions about your exact requirements and then you can have a custom built solution. You can take the components as per your budget. There are surely various products according to specific requirements.

Of course an all-cisco solution may not be the cheapest one. But you can fine tune features and devices as per your budget with the help of some service provider.

We, in India do have implemented such IP Telephony setups for schools and colleges and the customer feedback we have received are very satisfying.

Bronze

Yes and yes,

What I need is not a LOT of babysitting, try to have internal support and maintain as few as possible.

Thats my biggest concern.

I guess there is no silver bullet solution.

If everyone has idea, please post.

Thanks a lot!!!

Ken

Silver

I have only 500 users on my CCM deployment, but I find that the babysitting is minimal. MAC work is browser based point and click. I have successfully delegated most phone admin work to desktop IT guys using MLA. The system runs great.

Community Member

I disagree. I don't think the Cisco solution requires any more support than a traditional solution. There are certainly differences in skillsets but it is not all that difficult after the install is done.

There are also quite a few Cisco partners who are providing economical day 2 support so the "babysitting" can be outsourced.

Steve

Regards,
Steve
Please rate all helpful posts.
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content