cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip phone without a call manager

bmcauliffe
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any IP phone (7910?) that will support h323 without the call manager? Thanks in advance.

9 Replies 9

vassatrian
Level 1
Level 1

If you have CISCO IOS router you can run IP Keyswitch software on it (VESPA code) that supported from the IOS 12.1.5YD and support the all family of CISCO IP Phones. That will not be truly H.323, it will be “skinny” environment.

The network components are:

* CPE router with IOS

* local trunks connected to CPE router

* IP Phones

In VESPA code you can use local trunks on the router to make outside calls and receive incoming calls. Also analogue extensions are supported in VESPA code on the router.

In addition as far as I know the only solution based on CISCO IP Phones is 7960 with SIP implementation: 7960 can communicate with SIP environment (Server/Network) so you no need to have a Call Manager.

You can also try PingTel and congruency’s Picasso which are fully SIP compatable.

Regards,

Vakhtang.

According to you may I use also traditional Phones with VESPA software? and have you some slides to present the system to customers? Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Paola Corradi

Proposal Manager - Italy

Traditional phones can be supported on router FXS ports and will work on standart rules (via dial-peers). Of course the general question is how many you can have - it depends on design, hardware and requested features.

Try to search "VESPA" or "IP Keyswitch" on CCO.

If you will be unsucsessfull, I will try to send you some info, but be carefull, I have Australia's versions (how valid is it in Italia I do not know).

Regards,

Vakhtang

m.lacroix
Level 1
Level 1

No All CIsco IP Phone use Skinny protocol which is a subset of h323.

For this reason a ip phone cannot run without call manager.

We really can use ip phones without using call manager, i have done it and im kinda doing research on SIP. If you configure Cisco 2600 or 3600 box using 12.2(2)XB image than it can really work like call manager. Also you also need one switch or hub and connect it to ethernet inteface of router. Once that is done than you would connect all the phones to it, in this way connecting router will act as trunk card for IP phones.

Hi!

I would be interested in someone posting more detail on controlling IP phones via non CCM device, for example with 2600 or 3600 router.

Best regards!

I have conducted test and will send you the results.

Regards,

Vakhtang.

Hi,

since you have tested IP keyswitch I would like to ask you what features of IP Phones using a Call Manager are not supported when using IP Keyswitch instead. As far as I understand you cannot use Extended services, users will not have corporate directory, and users will not be able to perform Call forward all themselves. About the last one, I know that it is supported but you configure it on the router, so the user has to inform the administrator every time he/she wants to use Call forward... Are all these things correct, or am I mistaken?

Thanks in advance,

Yanna

You are right.

In IP Keyswitch mode you have to program all features on the router. This is one of the disadvantages of IP Keyswitch: users are not offered with flexibility of changing speed dial numbers and call forwarding.

Under first release there are not a lot of features supported (ie ISDN PRI, Voice mail and MOH are not supported under first release).

But CISCO promise that there are a lot of features will come with second release. SO lets see how it goes.

If you want I can send you the IP keyswitch supported features documentation.

Regards,

Vakhtang.