Views
Helpful
Replies

IP phones generate loads of traffic

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

Hello.

I have about 8 IP phones hangin on 2950 switch, which connect through infrastructure to CCM. I experience some network problems and i have found out that every IP phone (7940's and 7960's) generate about 200/255 txload on the switch on the port they are connected to (while rx load is around 1/255). It does not make a difference if the IP phone is alone on the port, or if PC is connected through IP phone - the traffic is same.

Also the most interesting thing is that the traffic does not flow out of the 2950 switch they are connected to. The ports that switch is uplinked by all report 1/255 rx and tx loads.

This problem causes all PC's that are on that 2950 to run network apps very slowly.

What might my problem be?

Thank you.

2 Replies 2

c-charlebois
Level 3
Level 3

That is very interesting. I have no idea what that trffic could be. Can you connect a sniffer into a SPAN port to get a sampling of that traffic? I, for one, am very courious about what it is.

Another option is run a sniffer software app on the PC connected to the phone. I beleive the phones flood data out both ports, for troubleshooting purposes.

Hello.

I'm not abyle to connect a sniffer at this time, but i'm sure IP Phone does not send the data to the PC, because PC NIC card does not show almost any data flowing.

Interesting thing is that IP Phones does not always generate this amount of data, but when they do, they all do at the same time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: