Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

IP Phones not hearing a ring-back

The following link explains how to fix a problem where PSTN callers are not hearing a ring-back when calling an IP Phone.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/788/AVVID/pstn_ip_ring.html

I have the opposite problem. My IP phones do not hear a ring-back when dialing through a gateway to our Lucent Definity PBX using an ISDN-PRI connection. Any ideas?

8 REPLIES

Re: IP Phones not hearing a ring-back

Hi,

I can´t help, but i have a similar problem with 7960 via QSIG to a Siemens Hicom300E. When i call to the PBX i see only the text "Ring Out" but i can´t hear a ring-back tone. Via PSTN to Hicom i hear a ring-back on the IP Phone. I work with CCM 3.0(9), 3640 with ISDN BRI S/T and IOS 12.1.5(T). My config for the BRI is:

interface BRI1/0

no ip address

isdn switch-type basic-qsig

isdn overlap-receiving

isdn incoming-voice voice

isdn static-tei 0

voice-port 1/0/0

compand-type a-law

cptone DE

Maybe the same cause!

Martin

I had the same problem...here is the fix....

dial-peer voice 1 pots

destination-pattern 9T

progress_ind alert enable 8 <-----these are the fix

progress_ind progress enable 8<-----

progress_ind connect enable 8<-------

direct-inward-dial

port 2/0:23

I only have the progress_ind command available if I am configuring a VoIP dial-peer. I cannot enter these commands.

Thank you for your posting!

I try and it´s working.

In the pots config i see usually only the options progress and connect but i can enter the alert option.

Thank´s

Martin

Glad I could help!!!

Greetins Mr. Mike,

I our company we are facing a similar problem.

Wich we try to correct with the solution you gave in the past 26th of April.

Our problem is:

when callers from PSTN ask for redirection to a specific extension, the call is redirected but the PSTN caller doesn´t get ring-back tones!!!!

Clues???

Thanks in advance,

Rui André.

Cisco Employee

Unfortunately, it is working as expected. The IOS gateway is not able to play any tones once the DSP is already in a connected state. There was a fix put into CallManager so that when a transfer happens that it will tell the IOS gateway to play a tone to the PSTN side, but the IOS gateway fix to implement this is not yet completed. No word yet on when this will be available.

The long term fix for CallManager and IOS gateways in this scenario is for both to implement the H.450 Call Transfer feature, but that will take some time.

Note: the problem you describe does not happen with Skinny-based (and I believe MGCP-based) gateways, only with H.323 gateways such as IOS-based Cisco routers.

I had the same problem and it has been fixed. Don't know if you are still having it. It requires an upgrade to callmanager 3.0(10) and also an IOS upgrade to the gateway you are running. I am running the h.323 gateway on a 3661. Hope this helps. I would advise you to call TAC for assistance on the specific IOS for you gateway

Views
Helpful
Replies