Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IP Phones show Not Registered in CallManager but are working.

IP phones of different models in the same device pool are showing up in CCM as Not Registered, Not Found or Unknown but these phones are working. Users have not had any problems. They can make and receive calls. Can anyone help us with this? We are concerned that at some point these phones will have problems or that this is a sign of a larger issue.

7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: IP Phones show Not Registered in CallManager but are working

Make sure the Cisco RIS service is started.

The Publisher, Active Subscriber and backup Subscriber for these phones all have this service started. Would it be wise to restart this service?

Silver

I had this happen at a customer, they had a Pub and Sub, users had started complaining of call quality issues, customer checked server and saw a NAV message (turned out to not be pertinent), and he rebooted both servers, at the same time. When they came back, things were working, but nothing showed registered. I was working with TAC, the real problem was a crashing bug, we went out and loaded ES at a later date for that, but they had no explanation for the unregistered status of all devices. SQL replication was good, and then I checked the event log and saw messages about devices registering, so they obviously were. At the end of the business day, I had the customer take both servers down, bring up the Pub first, then the Sub, and everything looked fine. No idea what happened, haven't seen it any other time.

Mary Beth

Silver

Oh, they were on 3.3(2)spC when we saw this.

Mary Beth

This sounds like your Publisher and Subscriber are out of sync. The Phones are registering to the subscriber and that information is not being updated on the publisher. I would check and make sure the SQL replications are working properly. Another idea would be to rerun the last CallManager update that you have on the subscriber. This will setup the replication again, and re-download the database entires to bring both up-to-date.

Cisco Employee

It will be agood idea to restart the RIS service on both PUB and SUB after working hours.

The Real-time Information Server (RIS) maintains real-time Cisco CallManager information and provides an interface through which the Cisco RIS Data Collector service and the SNMP Agent retrieve that information. One RIS exists on each node containing the Cisco CallManager service. The Cisco RIS Data Collector service provides an interface for applications, such as Cisco CallManager Serviceability and the Cisco CallManager Administration, to retrieve information stored in all RIS nodes in the cluster.

So you can see behavior like this if RIS is not getting the right status information from the devices register to CallManager.

Silver

Just for the record, when we had seen this issue, we had tried restarting the RIS data collector service on both servers, no change, and we were seeing SQL transactions updating, and the dbhelper tool showed replications status good. Looking at my notes, they waited until after business hours, rebooted the Pub server, checked stats and no change, but devices were still registered to the sub - then they rebooted the Sub server, devices all failed over to Pub and then failed back after Sub came back, and everything was fine after that.

Mary Beth

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content