cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phones unregisters at the same time

carlosjlopez
Level 1
Level 1

I have an isue using CM 4.1.3, Ip Phones 7940 unregisters many of them at the same time. Ussually twice a day one at hours when there is not much activity at the site, and other when all are working.

I saw this error on event log:

""Error: DeviceUnregistered - Device unregistered.

Device name.: SEP0015C6E8D550

Device IP address.: 10.0.0.25

Device type. [Optional]: 8

Device description [Optional].: SEP0015C6E8D550

Reason Code [Optional].: 8

App ID: Cisco CallManager

Cluster ID: StandAloneCluster

Node ID: SERVERCCM8

Explanation: A device that has previously registered with Cisco CallManager has unregistered. This event may be issued as part of normal unregistration event or due to some other reason such as loss of keepalives.

Recommended Action: No action is required if unregistration of this device was expected.. ""

any ideas??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Carlos,

First off, you are most welcome :)

You do not have to upgrade CCM to add the new firmware, allthough you may want to at some point as CCM 4.1(3) is up to 4.1(3)sr3c now.Here is a link to the phone software download page (you will need to have a registered CCO account to login);

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ip-7900ser

Here is a link to the readme for the newest 8.0.4 firmware;

Firmware Versions 8.0(4) for Cisco IP Phone Models 7940 and 7960 - Readme

http://ftp-sj.cisco.com/cisco/voice/ip-7900ser/cmterm-7940-7960-sccp.8-0-4-Readme.htm

This would be the file;

cmterm-7940-7960-sccp.8-0-4.exe

Cisco CallManager Release 4.1(3) Service Release 3c: Release Notes Version 1

http://ftp-sj.cisco.com/cisco/crypto/3DES/voice/callmgr/4.1/ciscocm.4-1-3-sr3c-Readme.htm#_Toc142283940

If you did upgrade CCM to 4.1(3)sr3c it comes with these Firmware Versions:

IP Phone 7940/7960 - P00307020400 (7.2.4)

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Carlos,

It sounds almost like the DHCP lease is expiring twice a day. If many phones unregister at the same time. Could also be Network outages, but I would check the DHCP possibility first;

Phone Resets

Symptom

Phone resets.

Possible Cause

Phones will power cycle or reset for two reasons:

TCP failure connecting to Cisco CallManager

Failure to receive an acknowledgment to the phone KeepAlive messages.

Recommended Action

1. Check the phones and gateways to ensure that you are using the latest software loads.

2. Check Cisco Connection Online at http://www.cisco.com for the latest software loads, new patches, or release notes that may relate to the problem.

3. Check the Event Viewer for instances of phone(s) resetting. Phone resets represent Information events.

4. Look for any errors that may have occurred around the time that the phone(s) reset.

5. Start an SDI trace and try to isolate the problem by identifying any common characteristics in the phones that are resetting. For example, check whether they are all located on the same subnet, same VLAN, and so on. Look at the trace and determine:

If the resets occur during a call or happen intermittently

If there any similarities of phone model (such as Cisco IP Phone 7960 )

6. Start a Sniffer trace on a phone that frequently resets. After it has reset, look at the trace to determine if there are any TCP retries occurring. If so, this indicates a network problem. The trace may show some consistencies in the resets, such as the phone resetting every seven days. **This might indicate DHCP lease expiration every seven days (this value is user-configurable; for example, it could be every two minutes).**

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/prod_troubleshooting_guide_chapter09186a00803ec9ee.html#wp1063222

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

thanks for your answer Rob,

as you say the first thing I thought was DHCP lease expiring, but after check the period lease, it is 3 days and the unregister are twice per day.

In the event viewer the only log are from the phones unregistered and anything more.

the model of the all phone are the same (7940) and all of them are in the same subnet,

I will try to identify any issues that happend at the same time with the callmanager traces.

I herad somewhere that if I install the SR2 update it could solve my problem, do you know anything about that?

thanks for your help,

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

I did look at bugs associated with 4.1.3 and phones unregistering but couldn't find anything specific. There was one that was related to 4.1 (3)SR2 but the phones required a power cycle to fix the problem, so I don't think that is it.

Two more questions;

1. Do have other phone types that this does or does not happen to?

2. What firmware are the phones running?

Let us know.

Rob

Hi Rob,

1.- I only have 7940 phones

2.- the firmware is P00307010200

thanks in advance

Hi Carlos,

You may be having problems associated with the following bug in the 7.1.2 phone firmware. I think that upgrading the firmware is a good place to start (I counted 81 bugs with 7.1.2);

CSCsa83692 Bug Details

Headline phone reboots after several hours of operation over high delay network

Product mid-range-phones

First Found-in Version 7.1(2)

Symptom:

IPPhone resets after some period of uptime.

Sniffer trace from the phone may show a series of duplicate TCP ACKs coming from the phone (over 100 in a short period), followed by an eventual TCP RST from CallManager.

Conditions:

Occurs when packets arrive out of order from CM to the phone. Condition exists in 6.x and 7.x phone loads. When observed in 6.x phone loads the phone begins tramsmitting HTML data to callmanager in the Skinny TCP session. When observed in 7.x phon

e loads the phone begins a storm of ACKs and eventualy CM resets the TCP session.

Workaround:

None. Prioritize traffice and provide as high a service level as possible to prserve packet order and minimize round trip time.

Fix will be available in 7.2(3) 7940/60 phone load.

First Fixed-in Version 7.2(2.1), 4.1(3)SR01a, 3.3(5)SR01a, 3.3(5)ES24, 4.0(02a)ES55, 4.1(2)ES49, 4.1(3)ES23, 4.0(02a)SR02c

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

thanks Rob,

just a question:

need I upgrade to 4.1(3) SR1 to update the firmware ephone, or I just need the firmweare phone (do you know where can I obtain this firmware?)

thnks

Hi Carlos,

First off, you are most welcome :)

You do not have to upgrade CCM to add the new firmware, allthough you may want to at some point as CCM 4.1(3) is up to 4.1(3)sr3c now.Here is a link to the phone software download page (you will need to have a registered CCO account to login);

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ip-7900ser

Here is a link to the readme for the newest 8.0.4 firmware;

Firmware Versions 8.0(4) for Cisco IP Phone Models 7940 and 7960 - Readme

http://ftp-sj.cisco.com/cisco/voice/ip-7900ser/cmterm-7940-7960-sccp.8-0-4-Readme.htm

This would be the file;

cmterm-7940-7960-sccp.8-0-4.exe

Cisco CallManager Release 4.1(3) Service Release 3c: Release Notes Version 1

http://ftp-sj.cisco.com/cisco/crypto/3DES/voice/callmgr/4.1/ciscocm.4-1-3-sr3c-Readme.htm#_Toc142283940

If you did upgrade CCM to 4.1(3)sr3c it comes with these Firmware Versions:

IP Phone 7940/7960 - P00307020400 (7.2.4)

Hope this helps!

Rob

patrickdeleeuw
Level 1
Level 1

Carlos,

We have a customer with it looks like the same problem. We have CM version 4.1.3(sr3c). Every 5 hours a couple of random phones (10-20 of the 250)unregister. Is the problem already solved? If so what was the source of the problem?

Hi Patrick

First I change the valour of T310 Timer in service parameter\Call manager to 60000

and as Rob says I upgrade the firmware of trhe phones.

hope, this solve your problem too.

Carlos,

the T310 times is used for ISDN and is default 60000. I'v already installed the lasted device pack, so firmware should not be the problem. Did you also had the 5 hour interval between the unregistration moments?

Let me add another twist to this. I have a number of phones that unregister every 5 hours. I have a new cluster, 4.2(1)sr1b. I have 7960's with a load of P0030800100. I also have 7961's with a load of SCCP41.8-0-3S.

Some phones are DHCP, but I also have phones that are static IP. I have phones that are on the LAN, but a different network, and I have phones that are connected via MPLS.

Funny thing is, it only happens on the Subscriber. I have a Publisher that I registered some phones to, that normally unregister, that have not unregistered from the Pub yet.

Anyone have the cause of this yet??

degg
Level 1
Level 1

I finally found a field notice on this issue. It is a SATA Raid driver problem. Here is the link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/voiceapp/ps378/products_field_notice09186a008055528f.shtml

This should fix all the issues.