cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Softphone and wireless

steve_deibe
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone tried IP Softphone with a wireless LAN ??

I am concerned about voice QoS and welcome feedback on LAN QoS and also classifying the RTP stream to prioritise into the WAN to connect to CCM.

3 Replies 3

akocelj
Level 1
Level 1

I am using IP Softphone and cisco wireless card. It works greate.

If you remember you need 80 Kb stream for voice, wireless suport 11 Mb link. There si no QoS problem.

Best regards

Aleksander

trailman73
Level 4
Level 4

It really depends on the AP you are using. If you are using Aironet you will have better control than another such as Orinoco. Wireless can be extremely finicky, and Cisco recommends 7 or less connections per AP. I don't know what you LAN looks like, but do some serios research and testing before you launch! You can prioritize the WAN traffic in the IOS. Something like:

class-map match-any voice

match ip rtp 16383 16383

match ip precedence 5

policy-map policy1

class voice

priority percent 75

class class-default

fair-queue

Hope this helps,

geoff

Hi,

I agree with Geoff. Do not deploy wireless unless you have an extreme need to do so and there is no other alternative. Apart from traffic management issues (the limitations APs have when processing calls), there are also a lot of issues surrounding security. This may be of less concern to voice than data, but is a concern nonetheless. You do not want folks listening in your 'confidential' calls.

Regards,

Ade