Cisco Support Community
Community Member

IP softphone availability and characteristics

I was wondering when the IP soft phone will be coming out and just how good a quality it is? I currently using voice port enabled 1750's and they

work fabulously. I can call the cisco from netmeeting, but it seems even with the best computer, sound card and microphone technology there is some low level garble that spoils the sound quality very badly. Because this is not present when recording from the mic and playing it back, I'm assuming that it's software (Netmeeting) induced. This being the case there's a chance that the cisco software could possibly be as good as their hardware solution. Does anyone know if this is the case? Is there a beta testing program and/or download trial software available?

Cisco Employee

Re: IP softphone availability and characteristics

The Cisco IP SoftPhone will be available for download in the Software Center sometime [planned] in the next week or so. It will be recommended/required that you be running at least version Cisco CallManager 3.0(6) or better on the server, which should be released at the same time or before SoftPhone.

As far as voice quality, some of the key things that have an effect on this with PC-based clients are: codec used (with SoftPhone, either G.711 or G.729a), properly configured network between PC client and the other end of the audio stream including any necessary QoS configurations, and microphone/speakers used. I have had the best results with the new Plantronics PC headsets that came out a couple of months ago. They come in monaural, binaural, or full-coverage [beefy] binaural. Purchase online or at your local PC / electronics store.

Community Member

Ah.. I don't run a call manager, I have a 1750 with

voice ports that I program up directly. So you are

saying that although the software is H.323 compatible, you are still required to have the

call manager software? (Which BTW, happens to cost

around $12,000 USD in the Netherlands, lowest entry

level). Because that would somewhat defeat the purpose for me.

As to the codecs, in the case of netmeeting I used

the same codec as used well between the voice ports.

i.e. G.729a and it was over the Internet with high

quality microphone that incorporates digital noice

cancellation. Net meeting still stucks somewhat, hence my interest in the softphone, however if that

also (In addition to the cisco IP phones) won't work

without call manager software then it's a mute point :-(

Cisco Employee

The Cisco IP SoftPhone uses the TAPI interface to make calls through the Cisco CallManager. Although such a configuration would be supported, it may be possible to use the SoftPhone where the TSP on the client machine points to some application on the network other than the CallManager.

Note that the Cisco IP SoftPhone is H.323 compliant only in that the Cisco CallManager is H.323 compliant, as it handles H.323 calls for the TAPI endpoint as a proxy.

Community Member

Do you have an update on when the IP SoftPhone will be released? I don't see it in Software center.

CreatePlease to create content