cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SoftPhone Versus IP Phone

8dgoswick
Level 1
Level 1

We are slowly migrating from a Lucent Definity G3 to Cisco Callmanager. When a call from an IP SoftPhone is made to someone in the Lucent system, the called party's name is fed back to the IP Softphone's display to let the caller know who he/she is calling. This is a nice feature, but why doesn't the regular IP Phone do the same thing?

3 Replies 3

tsvetan.adamov
Level 1
Level 1

It does, but you have to configure that feature. Select the phone from the CallManager menu, enter line configuration mode and enter a name in the "display" text box. Reset the phone and you must see on the pnone display your entered name. Configure the second phone the same way and try to make a call to each other. The names will be displayed.

Regards.

Read the original post more carefully. I know IP Phone to IP Phone works, and I know how to configure that. I am talking about going from an IP Phone to a Lucent Definity system and having the called party's name show up in the calling party's display. This works currently with my IP Softphone, but not with the IP Phone.

You are talking about when a call is placed from the CallManager to the Lucent, and when the Lucent phone picks up the call, the name shows up on the CallManager side, correct? That actually should work. The Lucent sends a Display IE in the Q.931 CONNECT message when the Lucent side picks up the call, and the Display IE contains the display name. If you turn on DETAILED tracing in the tracing parameters on CallManager, you should be able to see this in the CCM trace file when you make this call. To set the tracing to the correct level, check out:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/cm_trace.html

And you can use the Q.931 Translator to more easily decode the Q.931 packets. It's located on the CallManager server in the directory:

C:\Program Files\Cisco\bin