Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started.

IP telephony ..A versatile solution for long distance call at Enterprise ?

Hello,

I use to visit Cisco.com to check updates about Cisco products. Recently i joined multi national company. They usually make calls abroad via normal telephone line. I am pretty sure Cisco IP telephony could be the cheaper and smart solution. I dont have any experience on it. Anybody out there can tell me key features of it and if it's possible to implement from 1 side? Because at other side there is no IP phone ....It works 1 way ? And what additional equipments need to buy ? I think i need to buy Cisco's admin box too

???

Regard's,

Amey Abhyankar.

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
2 REPLIES

Re: IP telephony ..A versatile solution for long distance call a

You can see more info at SRND:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns656/networking_solutions_design_guidances_list.html#anchor8

You need Cisco Callmanager, Gateways (For PSTN termination and Branch Offices - With Callmanager Express...)

Hope it helps,

Vitor

Silver

Re: IP telephony ..A versatile solution for long distance call a

Amey,

I work for a multinational company as well, and maintain both wan/lan and voice infrastructure (all Cisco), including IP Contact Center.

The answer to your question is hard to tell, since it will require a full analysis te really tell if you will save money or not.

The investment if you need to start from scratch are pretty high, considering ou will need voice gateways with DSP resources on each site, a callmanager cluster, phones, power over ethernet switches and so on. Not to forget that your wan needs to support quality of service.

I have found that most wan service providers do deliver quality of service but that the costs involved with the needed class of service for voice call signaling and RTP streams are quite sufficient and are quite often more then the costs on call rates.

Only provider not charging extra for use of classes of services that I have found is Sprint (US based company). But even then the number of intersite calls need to be pretty high if you want to have a ROI of, let?s say, 3 years.

IMHO the motivation to move to IPT in general is not cost driven anymore, except for some greenfield situations (which I don?t think you have). If the motivation is efficienty and ease of work, application integration, one numberng plan, mobility features and stff, then IPT is definately the way forward. But, it is just my opinion (and you know what they say about opinions: everybody has one, and this is mine :-))

Leo

Views
Helpful
Replies