Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IP Telephony Revised LAB setup

Goal is to make the best use of companies money. I need to setup Call Manager 3.x, ICD Server, IVR, and Unity 3.0 Which products can I run on the same server. This will be a pure LAB environment. Thanks,

4 REPLIES

Re: IP Telephony Revised LAB setup

everything except Unity can go on one server, unity needs it's own server.

Paul

Paul...not exactly true. You can run Unity on the same server as CM for a lab. We have laptops w/ CM & Unity on them for onsite demo's. Once you have CM on a server, be sure to change all references to the host name to the ip address. In order to install Unity, exchange 5.5 (or 2000, if 3.0) is required, which in turn needs active directory. Installing AD on a CM server can hose it big time, be careful, but it is possible. Also, make sure the server your using is rather beefy. Our demo laptops are PIII 600 w/ 384 RAM and it is slow.

Having said all that, for a lab, having a second server just for Unity would help. Even though your trying to save $$, a decent box could be built for under a grand.

Again, for lab, this is ok, but for production, I would say no way.

Brent

Unity 3.0 and Call Manager 3.1 use different versions of SQL and I don't think you can run both on the same machine. You might have other issues, also. If you are using it for demo I would recommend staying with approved configurations. MCS 7825/7835 or approved configurations on Compaq DL 320/380 or IBM x330/340.

Just to add my 2cents to the fray. I would suggest looking into buying the Compaq DL380 which with 2 10K RPM 18GIG drives, dual Xeon processors and 1 GIG of RAM can be purchased for a little over 1K on the market if you look on places like E-Bay. ( I purchased 4 for $1900.00 with factory warranty.) This will give you the approved machine which is beefy enough to handle the applications. Now I just want to get Unity 3 working with Exchange 2K and AD :)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content