Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IP/VC 3510 w polycom Viewstation over vpn

I am working with a vendor to design a ip/vc system over a vpn using 3des with a 2509 router and a full T. My question is about QOS in the possible solution. I have seen good result comments and bad. Please give me any feed back you may have related to such a design.

2 REPLIES

Re: IP/VC 3510 w polycom Viewstation over vpn

What a smooth design! I see alot of advantages here, like reduced travel expenses and utilization of existing network infrastructure.

I would definitely recommend monitoring of the existing network to look at current utilization levels, to determine if there is enough BW available for more applications(video).

I'd also look into dedicated VPN-concentrators, like the VPN-3005, to terminate the tunnels. Routers and PIX's do the job, but the concentrator is guaranteed to perform 100% better than either of the above, and with mission-critical voice/video traffic I would not take any chances.

This would be a tough one to simulate in lab. The best test would probably be to just setup 2 sites and test it yourself. There is no question about whether it will work, the only question is about the video quality, determined mostly by your ISP, and I doubt this vendor has any influence there.

Re: IP/VC 3510 w polycom Viewstation over vpn

I hope you are not talking about ending a 3des "tunnel" in a 2509. It doesn't have near enough horsepower to handle the encryption. I tried 56 bit des and the most through-put I got was 128k of traffic. If the router is going to be an endpoint of the encryption tunnel, use something that has hardware accelleration capabilities, like a 2600 or 1700.

Mark

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content