Views
Helpful
Replies

IP2IP Gateway Hold/Transfer Issue

gilbera
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a Cisco GW running IP2IP GW software with h.323 coming in then using a dial-peer i hand the call to a Cisco CM 4.0 using H.323.

The IP2IP GW is set to Flow Through Mode.

The problem is the phone user that recives the call cannot transfer or but the call on hold..

I have Media Termination Point ticked in CCM on the gateway.

Can anyone help we with this ?

Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Just found the link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00801ec5be.html

Basically, the Callmanager MTP, which accepts the call during holds or transfers, only accepts G.711 streams. So to invoke this MTP, you need transcoder resources as well.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Hi,

Does the call drop on a blind or supervised transfer ? Is it possible to get the following information-

1. sh run & sh ver

2. deb voice ccapi inout + deb h225 asn1 + deb h245 asn1

3. detailed CCM trace from the Call Manager for the failed transfer.

In the meanwhile I will check if there is any DDTS on the issue.

rgds,

subhrojyoti

michael_davis
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Andy,

Is the MTP you are using a CCM MTP, or a Hardware/IOS DSP resource?

I'm thinking there's a good chance you are trying to transcode and terminate media on the CCM. If this is the case, I don't believe you can do both simultaneously on a CCM MTP.

Another possibility is that there are no MTP resources actually being invoked for the call.

Try landing the call on a IOS or Hardware DSP and try the calls.

You can do a "show call act voice compact" from the ip2ipgw to verify were the voice-path is landing.

Let me know if this helps by rating the post.

Michael

Michael

OK i will try this command and let you know.

Both ends support g.729 and thats what we set the calls to so i would have thought no transcoding is taking place??

I am using the MTP on the CCM, is there another way to do it on the IP2IP gw?

Andy

Just found the link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00801ec5be.html

Basically, the Callmanager MTP, which accepts the call during holds or transfers, only accepts G.711 streams. So to invoke this MTP, you need transcoder resources as well.

Hi

I have done some testing and its defo MTP thats the problem..

I want to implement a IOS enchanced MTP on a 2600 GW but cannot seem to find any docs on what software version i need and also the config on the Gateway i need can anyone help?

I dont need transcoding resource and the GW does not have a DSP farm so i just want to do software based MTP on the gw.

Thanks all for your help..

Andy

Hey Andy,

Glad to help.

Now for the bad news...

You will need a transcoding resource if the voice streams are g729.

While you can use the CCM for the MTP, you will need a DSP farm for the transcoding. IOS cannot currently do this in software.

There are numerous options for dspfarms, and they could reside on the IPIP GW. Price and sizing depend on call volume. There are PVDMs in NM-HDV, PVDM2s in NM-HDV2, AIM-VOICE-30, etc. Most all may work in the 2600 you have.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news - I know this is not what you wanted to hear. I'm in the same boat. I need to deploy a large number of IPIP GWs or H323 proxies to segregate a large deployment I'm working on, but DSP resources for MTP and Transcoding are an issue.

BTW, please don't forget to rate any posts for the quality of info you get from them. That is the best thanks or feedback you can give. And it helps others wade through the noise on the forum.

Hey Andy,

Glad to help.

Now for the bad news...

While you can use the CCM for the MTP, you will need a DSP farm for the transcoding. IOS cannot currently do this in software.

There are numerous options for dspfarms, and they could reside on the IPIP GW. Price and sizing depend on call volume. There are PVDMs in NM-HDV, PVDM2s in NM-HDV2, AIM-VOICE-30, etc. Most all may work in the 2600 you have.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news - I know this is not what you wanted to hear. I'm in the same boat. I need to deploy a large number of IPIP GWs or H323 proxies to segregate a large deployment I'm working on, but DSP resources for MTP and Transcoding are an issue.

BTW, please don't forget to rate any posts for the quality of info you get from them. That is the best thanks or feedback you can give. And it helps others wade through the noise on the forum.

Hey Andy,

Glad to help.

Now for the bad news...

Hi Michael

Also can a AIM-VOICE-30 be used for transcoding?

I was told once you could only use NM-HDV.

Andy

Hi

OK, do you have any sample configs for what i need to put on the GW for it to act as an MTP?

Also i was hoping the comment below which i read in the the document you provided the link for where relevant as both ends are G.729?

"For software-only implementation that does not use DSP but has the same packetization time for devices that support G.711 to G.711 or G.729 to G.729 codecs, this implementation can support up to 500 sessions per gateway. "

Andy

hi andy/michael,

dont think mtp would be an issue here. the later ios and ccm versions have very little use of mtp. andy can we check if the call hits the correct dial peers and the previous debugs i requested would be helpful along with "debug voip ipipgw". if that is not possible you can provide me with the following outputs. make sure oyu clear the counter before taking the output after a failed call happens.

show h323 gateway cause

show h323 gateway h225

rgds,

subhrojyoi

Sorry Subhrojyoi, I have to disagree. While what you are saying is usually true, IPIP Gateway currently requires MTP resources for supplemental services when used with Callmanager.

Please see the "Prerequisites" section in the link below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps5640/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00803fecdc.html#wp1082572

It is my understanding from some contacts at Cisco that work is currently being done to eliminate this requirement in some near future IOS release. But for today, we're stuck with it.

HTH clarify,

Michael