cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPTV to remote sites over the Internet

rtrunk
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone had experience in setting up IPTV over the internet? I have a client that wants to distribute video to six remote offices. Since I can't multicast over the internet, I plan to install b'cast servers at each site and distribute content to them. Has anyone else tried this?

5 Replies 5

tuado
Level 1
Level 1

Have you try the smallcast feature of IPTV.

That was my first thought, but for six sites, that requires a lot of bandwidth.

I thought instead to record the video and then distribute it to the sites using the content manager. I just wanted to know if anyone has already done this.

Pre-recording content then distributing to remote servers is commonly done using the scheduled FTP capability in the IPTV content manager. This allows you to use any "quality" link as video is not being transported but rather the completed file. Note - your far end servers need not be IPTV broadcast servers at the remote sites unless you plan to encode analog content to a digital format at that site. If files are already encoded, you can use IPTV archive servers at the remote site which will either multicast or unicast or both. Good luck

How could you make sure that the Content Manager will deliver the content from the correct IP/TV Server? I would assume that the Content Manager would have to have 6 different entries, one for each site. I've tried to noodle this problem earlier (with release 2.0) and I haven't come up with a good resolution.

Not sure what you are asking here? But to take a guess... when initiating a file transer using the scheduled transfer link in CM, you have to identify the source file and source server that the content resides on then also define the destination servers. The content will be put into the media directory that was defined on the destination server when you originally installed the device. Its not 6 different entries to FTP one file to six servers. Its one entry defining six destinations. Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: