cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to reset voicemail ports in CM without a reboot?

dsiwa
Level 1
Level 1

We're running CM 3.1.3a and Unity 3.1.5. We lost connectivity to our Unity server last night due to router issues. By the time the issue was discovered we were only able to reboot the Unity server -- phones were being heavily used so the CMs couldn't be booted as well.

Now... instead of VM answering immediately when the "Message" button is hit, users must wait 3-4 rings before they get the greeting. Of course we could limp along until ALL the systems get reset this evening, but is there a service that can be restarted that'll put an end to all their b!@#%in?

4 Replies 4

kthorngr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Normally you should be able to reboot Unity and have all of the voicemail ports come back and work properly without doing naything to CallManager. It would be interesting to see, using Status Monitor, if the first voicemail port is ever answering.

You can try to reset the voicemail ports within CallManager, but there is no server specifically for these. Restarting the Cisco CallManager service, on the server that has the voicemail ports registered, may accomplish what you are looking for to save time restarting the server. Of course, this CallMaanger will stop processing calls.

HTH

Kev

CCampbell_2
Level 1
Level 1

The fact that it waits a couple of rings indicate to me that one of your Unity ports has locked up. When this happens to me, I find out which port is locked up by watching the VM extension that just rings and rings - you'll see it roll to the next port which answers. Lets say ext 5003 rings until it rolls to 5004. I go to the VM port for 5003 and do a CFA to 5004 until I can reboot the Unity server. As the other person advised, Port Status in Unity can tell you more, you'll probably see a call in progress for a long amount of time.

I would first start by referencing "Status Monitor" to see if there are any ports stuck in use. If not, I would then dial each of your VM ports directory number. If all is well there, verify your CFB settings are correct. You can also use "Status Monitor" to reset a port on Unity. Lastly, try uninstalling and reinstalling the TSP either the same version or upgrade to the latest TSP.

First of all... everyone, thanks for the replies. As it turns out, the problem had to do with Unity no longer having ports defined for the CM. We have a 12-port dual-switch integration -- ports 1-6 belong to the Nortel PBX (those VM ports behaved normally) port 5-12 belong to CM (those behaved erratically). From Unity's admin page, I selected "Ports" and noticed "0" ports defined for Cisco. When I set it and stopped/started Unity everthing went back to normal.

I guess the router issue -- one which isolated the Unity server from the CMs -- made Unity "think" those ports are invalid and took em out...