Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Is the 7961 capable of accepting a video stream?

I've finally had success with AVTransmit2 and streaming audio (unicast only) to the IP phones (7960, 7961, and 7970).

Now I am trying to find info on streaming video (with audio) to these phones (7961 and 7970). Is this even possible? If so, how? Same as audio? Unfortunately, there is no indication at all if this is even possible. The docs I have simply don't say one way or the other.

If anyone has info or docs or links or what-have-you, please direct me to them. I will gladly post my findings once I get it working (if possible).

2 REPLIES

Re: Is the 7961 capable of accepting a video stream?

Have you ever seen video on any of those phones (other than in the TV series 24)? They can't do video.. video calls with any of those phones require VT Vantage installed on your PC (or I guess the new unified communicator will do as well). The phone video capable phone is the 7985 - you might have a chance streaming to it but since video is considerably more complex, you'll end up spending a lot of time figuring out a transcoding path.

And your doc analogy should go like this: if it ain't mentioned as a feature, it is no feature ;)

Re: Is the 7961 capable of accepting a video stream?

Well, since I just started working with the phone (just a two weeks ago) I'm still learning and didn't even know I could stream audio to the phone.

Finding info on Cisco's site is difficult, IMHO. I figured that since graphic images could be sent to the phone, it's plausible that the phone might accept a video stream via RTP as well. Of course, finding a definitive "Yes" or "No" on the Cisco site is nearly impossible. I also tried Cisco sales and customer support without success.

I am happy to say that I was able to stream audio (using JMF) and send PNG images (exported from PowerPoint) to the phone and have created a simple slide show utility. So I'm half way to my goal. If streaming video to this phone is impossible, then I guess there's nothing I can do about it.

Views
Helpful
Replies