cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is this possiable?

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

My customer needed VM up so bad, that they had me install CM and Unity 3 before they had their Exchange servers on site (They moved to a new building). The Unity box is a member of the domain, but is using Exchange 5.5 sp4 in a Voice Mail Only config. Now they want to intergrate their exchange servers and unified messaging. Is there any way that I can do this without re-installing Unity? Can I stop using the local Exchange server and somehow point to the customers existing Exchange enviroment?<br><br>Second - They customers existing exchange enviroment has multiple sites. The client had tried to install this (Unity 3 with exchange 5.5sp4) by himself before moving and ran into issues. Specifically, adding subscribers failed (it tried to add them to the wrong site). Unfortunatly, I dont know more than that on this problem (I wasnt there). Any thoughts?<br><br>TriplePost<br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

Unfortunately there's no real easy way to do this... you can't just move an Exchange server into a new org/site without losing Unity information. MS does have a move server tool (unsupported by them) but it waxes our custom items in the directory (it doesn't know what they are so it waxes them... real friendly). Moving a server around Exchange sites/orgs requires a reinstall I'm afraid.

A single Unity server cannot span more than one Exchange site. This is a MAPI limitation... I know it's a pain but there's no easy work around. Dialing domains can span sites so you can "link" Unity servers in multiple sites together in a way but each site with subscribers must have a Unity server in it to service those users.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

What if I didnt care about all the subscriber info, and I wanted to just connect to another exchange enviroment and import from there. Can that be done without a reinstall?

As far as the multi-site exchange question, are you saying that you can not set up Unity in an Exchange enviroment that has multiple sites? Or that you can, but only utilze resources on one site of a multi-site environment? The install that was attempted by my client tries to add subscibers to the wrong site, even though he swears that he honed it to the proper one. Thank you for your help.

Not applicable

Unity must be installed into the site directly, you can "move it" when it's already installed into another site. A reinstall will be necessary I'm afraid.

I suspect he's mistaken...we're going to add users to the recipients container in the site the local Exchange server on the Unity box is installed into. If we're adding users to another container it's possible someone monkied around in the registry but if it's attempting to add users to another site, there's no way that could be a configuraton issue post install...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: