cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with Disaster Recovery retention

Scott Jones
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone--wondering if anyone has noticed this issue and found a fix...our CallManager and Unity Connection backups are filling up the space alloted to the VM that runs our SFTP server.  We've got it set to retain 5 days of backups, but when I review the files being stored for both, I found some that had gone back a year or more.  For whatever reason, it's not aging them out appropriately. 

Currently, we're running 9.1.2 of CUCM and UCxn, but this happened on our system when we had 8.5/8.6 as well...

any ideas?

SJ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Either the SFTP user that the product has lacks delete permissions or someone was fiddling around with the files (i.e. trying to manually expunge a few) and the product has lost track of what is on the SFTP store. I would recommend pointing it at a different server for a manual backup (i.e. your laptop) so you have a good backup, then wiping the folder clean. Set DRS to retain one backup only and watch to verify that it is able to cleanly expunge the two-day old backup. If it goes smoothly, return your retention period to five and tell people to keep their hands off the cookie jar SFTP server.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Either the SFTP user that the product has lacks delete permissions or someone was fiddling around with the files (i.e. trying to manually expunge a few) and the product has lost track of what is on the SFTP store. I would recommend pointing it at a different server for a manual backup (i.e. your laptop) so you have a good backup, then wiping the folder clean. Set DRS to retain one backup only and watch to verify that it is able to cleanly expunge the two-day old backup. If it goes smoothly, return your retention period to five and tell people to keep their hands off the cookie jar SFTP server.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Thanks for the reply Jonathan.  I kind of suspected rights might be an issue, but wasn't completely sure.  It was running on a Linux box that was setup a while ago by someone no longer with my company.  I moved it to a windows VM shortly after posting this just for grins and it seems to be working as it should.

Thanks again!

SJ

I have a similar issue. CUC and CUCM backup device(Number of backups to store on Network Directory 4)  are using the same SFTP and the same credentials as well. Both can write down the new backups, but only the CUC deletes the oldest backup automatically and the CUCM does not do it.

I checked the DRF logs and i can see that the CUCM does not even send the remove to the SFTP. I feel that the CUCM does not keep a track of the stored files. CUC does the process well.

I have readded the backup device, schedule, and also pointed the backup device to a new, empty folder, but still the same issue.

Do u have any advices for me?

Thanks alot!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: