Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with NTP not syncing local CCM Clock

Having an issue on the CCM Servers I'm managing where the local clock is gaining time at about 5 minutes every week. I've gone through and setup NTP on the servers as per the Cisco Docs, but I'm still seeing the time gain occur.

I've setup the Pub to sync against an internal time source by editing the ntp.conf file. I've then gone and done a manual sync using ntpdate and then restart the NTP Service. I'm finding that the service isn't re-syncing the clock and I'm finding I have to manually re-sync every couple of days.

Is this a problem seen by others? Any chance there's a solution outside of setting up a sched task to re-sync the time on an automated basis?

TIA

7 REPLIES
Green

Re: Issues with NTP not syncing local CCM Clock

Hi Nathan,

First just make sure you are following the correct procedure.

1. Go to \Winnt\System32\drivers\etc

2. Open ntp.conf in Notepad

3. Modify the file/content in their to reflect the NTP Server IP address.

For e.g 172.18.106.15 is my NTP Server

server 172.18.106.15 # Set Local Clock to Authoritive Time Source

fudge 172.18.106.15 stratum 5 # Resets Stratum from default 3 to 5

driftfile C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\ntp.drift # path for drift file

4. Go and now stop the Network Time Protocol Service

5. If you want you can now change the time on the box to hour ahead or back, to test if NTP will work or not.

6. Open command prompt and go to \Program Files\Cisco\Xntp

7. Type the command "ntpdate x.x.x.x" - Where x.x.x.x is the NTP server IP address.

C:\Program Files\Cisco\Xntp>ntpdate 172.18.106.15

Looking for host 172.18.106.15 and service ntp

host found : vnt-ntp.cisco.com

29 Sep 14:57:51 ntpdate[924]: step time server 172.18.106.15 offset -10719.468824 sec

8. The NTP will update the clock/date, etc on the server and then should come back to the prompt again.

9. Go back and start the Network Time Protocol Service.

Only happening to CCM servers? which OS version?

Thanks for the reply.

Running 2000.2.7sr8 on both our Production and Dev CCM Servers.

I double checked the steps you outlined and that's the process I'm following. I get a successful set of the time using ntpdate, but still see the clock slip forward with ntp running.

I've pushed the clock on my dev pub server forward a couple of minutes to see if I get back in sync overnight.

I'll update tomorrow if I've seen any improvement.

Okay, ended up making some changes to the config file and things appear to be keeping time now.

My config file now looks like:

server a.b.c.d iburst # Set Local Clock to Authoritive Time Source

fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 5 # Resets Stratum from default 3 to 5

driftfile C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\ntp.drift # path for drift file

Where a.b.c.d is my internal time source.

The only real change you'll see is that I added 'iburst' in the server line. This appears to fix up the time (as per what ntpdate does) when the ntp service starts (assuming it's within 1000 seconds of the actual NTP server time). It also appears to fix up any drift in the local clock time on a regular basis and appears to actually keep server time now.

Cheers

Sorry one other thing.

If I put in the line 'fudge a.b.c.d stratum 5' where a.b.c.d is the IP of my internal NTP Server, I get an event in the event log along the lines of:

a.b.c.d is inappropriate address for the fudge command, line ignored

If I set a.b.c.d as 127.127.1.0 I don't see the error message.

Hi,

I've the same problem.

Manual Sync with NTPDATE is working, but auto sync with the NTP service is not working.

My config is OK, and I don't know what happens.

jp

do you see events in the event viewer (application)

can you verify config and if "network time protocol" is running, and windows time is disabled?

(fudge line must have 127.127.t.u)

Yep, see events in the app event log when NTP Starts up. No issues reported in the events.

Events are only shown when

"Network Time Protcol" is running, Windows time is set to manual and is stopped.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content