I am having difficulty setting up the an Android device for Jabber. Here's where I am...
- CUCM 8.6.1, BOTxxxx device configured, DN configured and device associated (same set up for working iPhone 3GS)
- Device : Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P1000
- Jabber for Android client on Samsung Tab
- Can ping to CUCM from Samsung Tab (same subnet)
- Can browse to CUCM from Samsung Tab - After entering the Jabber client I enter the BOTxxxx & CUCM IP
- ERROR "Please check your Internet Calling Settings and try again. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator"
- On the CUCM the device remains unregistered Since the setup wizard does not complte there is no option to look at any logs (one for the BU?).
I have managed to set up an iPhone 3GS so was hoping the Samsung would be just as easy. Working from doc : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Android/8_6/JABA_BK_A940B90D_00_jabber-for-android-admin-guide.html
Many thanks for any help
First thing to check is DNS. Are your CUCMs defined by name? If so, then the Android device needs to be able to resolve the names. The config file sent to the Jabber client contains the hostname of the CUCM Server.
As I am running a Test network there is no DNS Server. Was hoping the Tab would be happy with IP address of the CUCM.
Any workarounds you know of?
One way around this is to change the CUCM server name to its equivalent IP address in CUCM administration.
You'll need to restart the CUCM TFTP service after making this change.
Also worth changing the enterprise parameters that reference the server name if you go down this road.
Intrinsic Network Solutions
Not an answer, but I thought I'd jump on the pile. We are having the same exact symptoms here:
- CUCM 8.6.2
- Multiple Devices, Samsung Galaxy S and S2
- iPhone clients work just fine
Also, we double-checked DNS. We are able to resolve (and web to) CUCM from the device.
I've generally taken packet captures to / from the Andoid device on CUCM to see what is going on when this kind of thing happens. It's also worth requesting the XML config file stored on CUCM via TFTP.
The file name is something like BOTXXXXX.cfg.xml (I can't remember the exact file name) - but it's worth grabbing it using a TFTP client and having a nose inside. Sometimes there can be something strange in there (possibly a CUCM host name you aren't resolving / expecting)
If you take a packet capture on CUCM, you can restrict it to the IP address of the Android client and export it as a PCAP file. This normally helps in working out where the issue is.
Intrinsic Network Solutions
Thanks for the input, Barry.
We were actually able to get it working by changing the System -> Server settings (CUCM) from hostname to IP address. Not sure exactly why this made a difference; since DNS is resolving from the Adnroid devices with no problems.
Thanks for your ideas.
I have configured the CUCM to use IP instead of hostname. Still unable to register. Looks like I'll have to sniff
I'm meeting the same issue to register jabber on Galaxy SII. Do you succeed in solving your issue?
Sorry - I'm no further forward. Cisco Account Team are taking a look also but the business requirement is low level so I'm struggling to get time to fully resolve.
Upgrading to CUCM 8.6.2a soon - will re-try after.
Please keep me updated if you crack it before me.
Any updates on this? Having the same issue with Android devices - iPhones work fine. I don't see why changing to IP address vs hostname would work if DNS is resolving fine.
Any update so far? I have tried Cisco Jabber Voice on Samsung Galaxy tab 2 and HTC One but failed... are these devices supported? Cisco docs doesnot mention they are supported or not. Cisco should make Jabber OS specific rather device specific..
Sort of an update - Jabber for Android just doesn't work very well. It is a little bit embarassing having to explain this to my customers, but nobody at Cisco seems to be listening. It doesn't work on HTC-one for definite. There is a list of supported handsets on the Release Notes, but it is pretty poor. Most of the time "not supported" means it will probably work, but is not supported by Cisco. I can live with that. However with JFA, "not supported" means it doesn't actually work.
The solution is very simple.
1. Deinstall Jabber for Android.
2. Install CSIPSimple.
Works great. I went through a stage of testing new Jabber for Andoid releases to see if Cisco had fixed it, but have given up now. CSIPSimple does everything I need.