Views
Helpful
Replies

Level of latency and jitter

f.campos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me the maximum level of latency and jitter in a network IP that can be supported by a videoconference system H323.

The system is comprised of terminals Picturetel, Polycom, MCU and gateway Cisco.

9 Replies 9

mmellet
Level 3
Level 3

I would guess latency somewhere around 70 milliseconds. Has anyone seen a definite number? I know it’s low.

One book from Cisco is saying better less than 125 msec, no more than 150 msec (round-trip)for interactive real-time video or audio. But I think it is only a recommendation, which level you would like to use is really depends on your clients' expectation for video and audio quality...

I agree with maxiaojia. Under 150msec is the benchmark you are looking to achieve. I may be working a project like this in the near future and would like to know what your outcome is.

150 msec round trip ? I keep getting conflicting information on this.. I've read 150 msec one way.

Which is it ? one way or round trip ?

The ITU recommends no more than 150ms round trip

ITU-T's G.114 Specification recommends 150sec ONE-WAY delay; mouth to ear for real-time applications, however, video applications are less sensitive to delay with respect to voice.

BR,

Charles - Ebone

It's great to finally find some answers to this question, but just to be totally clear about this (if possible)...

Here:

Networked Multimedia Overview

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/614/19.html under latency it says that it has to be under 400ms. Is this just the maximum latency that the call can have while still maintaining a connection, and that and delay under 150ms means that the delay/latency won't be a factor in the overall quality?

As well, what is the recommended/minimum/maximum jitter...

or are all of these questions too product specific?

Thanks

zabriskis
Level 1
Level 1

For a discussion on this see the white paper iPower Reliability and IP Precendence, it is on the last couple of pages at http://www.picturetel.com/integrated.asp?name=intwp.xml

The PictureTel Jitter buffer is set to 150ms, whereas the Polycom is at 75ms.