cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Limiting Sessions (voice ports) per call handler

marc.fontenot
Level 1
Level 1

I have multiple call handlers configured which are reached via CTI route points in CallManager. One of the Call Handlers is much busier than all of the rest and I don't want it to overwhelm the box. Can I limit the number of sessions for a particular call handler

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm not sure how this would be done... short story - no, Unity will answer calls that hit its lines untile there are none left - no calls will be proactively rejected/deflected up front or the like.

robert.brooks
Level 1
Level 1

You should be able to do this by splitting off specific ports just for your call handler you want limited. For example, if you have 8 ports for Unity, numbered 1000, 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, 1005, 1006, 1007. Normally, each extension is forwarded to the next in a chain. Have a regular forwarding chain for the first 6 ports for regular voicemail, i.e. 1005 does NOT forward to 1006. Have your CTI route point (2000) go to 1006. Thus voicemail calls use 1000-1005. Your CTI route point & call handler use 1006 & 1007, thus limited to 2 calls.

Note that if you want to do this for several different call handlers it would be expensive since you can't buy session licenses without buying mailboxes as well.

That would limit incoming calls from a CTI route point to two Unity ports. It sounds like there is a desire to limit the number of ports transferring out of Unity to a CTI route point at any gvien time. Like Jeff, mentioned, there isn't any way to do that.

The concern about load: Is it that where the CTI route point goes cannot handle the number of calls Unity is transferring? I wouldn't suspect Unity would have a problem with transferring lots of calls (especially with CCM integration).

Thanks for the replies. My issue is incoming and overloading my 8 VM ports. The heavily used CTI route point is new and used by the public. It would easily overrun my 8 existing ports. I didn't want it to swamp my system and impede the existing use of the voice mail ports. In the long term I'll fix it with money by adding more ports.

If the call handlers are doing release transfers to the CTI route point (which should be lickity-split as soon as the caller hits that call handler transfer rule), and the ports are still being overrun, then it sure does sound like a busy system. You can see how many ports are being used with the StatusMonitor.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: