cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

List in Directory

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Jeff,<br><br>We have a client that has hundreds of boxes that aren't showing up in the spell by name directory. We've found that the AVP_DTMF_NAME_FIRST_LAST key is empty for certain users. Apparantly, the only way to fix this is to delete the First and Last names (which wipes out display name) and then reenter the names. OUCH!!!<br><br>We have possibly hundreds of names that are hosed. Any chance a VBscript or bulk edit job would resolve this? You don't have anything else to do tonight do you?<br><br>Let me know your thoughts.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Rob Thornton / Tony Duval / Lawrence McNutt<br>SOS<br><br>

6 Replies 6

Not applicable

I'm assuming this is the same site that imported all their users without first and last names, only display names... just want to make sure folks understand that Unity didn't just "lose" the DTMF spelled name, there wasn't one to be lost!

Betcha they wont be doing that again real soon...

You don't need to delete the first and last names... you just have to trigger a change in one of them (i.e. add an "X" to the end of one and delete it to force the dirty bit) and hit save. This will force Unity to recalculate the DTMF spelled names.

Unfortunately I have a ton of stuff to handle before I go on sebatical the end of this month. I have a to-do list a mile long and growing so I don't really have cycles to kick out a special script or app to do this. None of the tools I have hanging around touch the first/last names since under normal conditions that would be a real bad thing to do.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Don't mean to be a Buttinsky but I did the install and first import of users, so I have at least some perspective. The way I'm understanding this every account that is not in the spell-by-name directory must be changed so that it will be "reindexed" and the DTMF digits written into the DOH property "AVP_DTMF_NAME_FIRST_LAST" and it's brother property "AVP_DTMF_NAME_LAST_FIRST". As I saw the problem a week ago it did not affect all users and in fact no one can seem to accuratly identify the users that are affected. If not actualy change the field then is there a chance something might be able to identify the users that are not listed? The prospect of changing 809 users one-at-a-time is daunting at best. When I run a subscriber list it shows the users names, first, last and alias, everybody seems to have them. There doesn't seem to be a one-to-one corelation of no first or last name in Exchange and not showing up in the spell-by-name either. I tested this by looking at the exchange account that Jeff from TAC fixed by going into the DOH and populating the DTMF fields in that account. A further bit I've heard but can't valadate is that the License Key had an external modem pluged into it and the Key was wiped, can't let some people near anything. It is understood that the damage may well be done and it's not time to weep over spilled dairy product but to spring to action(and change every users name field and change it back) but if there are any last straws I'm willing to clutch them.

Thanks as always and enjoy your sabbatical.

Anthony Duval
Systems Engineer
Special Order Systems
aduval@team-sos.com

Not applicable

If this is the same site I called into last week the deal was a number of users in Exchange had no first and last names (which is legal, but odd)... they had aliases and display names. Someone went through after the import (apparently) and added first/last names in Exchange.

The problem is that Unity does not get notification when items change in Exchange. As such, when they were imported to Unity they got to DTMF first/last,last/first names and when they were changed in Exchange we didn't know about it and doesn't react to it. The only way to force Unity to reindex the spelled names is to kick the dirty bit on either the first or last (or both) names in the SA which will then force it to recalculate the spelled name. It would be nice if the syncer would pick this up on the fly but the overhead for doing that each time we rip through the directory looking for changes is pretty high.

You get the same problem if someone changes their last name, for instance. They change it in Exchange and we dutifully show it in the SA but we don't keep track of what the name was before (this would require we maintain a seperate database for deltas) and again the DTMF spelled name isn't recalculated.

I'm just about finished with my goofy training power point document for tonight... if I'm still feeling awake I'll poke a bit and see if I can't get a "force dtmf recalculation" script together tonight. Don't hold your breath, however...

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

OK... I put a script out on the 2.x tools page that should do what you need it to do. Lucky for you writing scripts is way more fun that slogging through training material in power point...

it's down at the bottom of the tools page and is called "Force DTMF Spelled Name Recalculation"... catchy.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Jeff
Just got word they ran the script last night and it seems to have worked. About 15 min after they started it I got a call they were woried because the processor was peged, but it ran 809 names in a little less than 2 hrs. Thank you again that made a horid job doable.

Thanks

Anthony Duval
Systems Engineer
Special Order Systems
aduval@team-sos.com

Not applicable

yeah, that's why I try not to do scripts... you can't trottle them easily and doing progress indication is nearly impossible. But they're a lot quicker to bang out that a full application, so what are you going to do?

Anyway, glad it worked out for you.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: