cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

listen music from an internet radio on IP Phone

francis.labelle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I want to know if someone know how to setup a phone to play a music that is taked from a internet radio broadcast.

Basicly, I want to be able to choose a music source (an internet radio station) from my phone and listen it thru the speaker phone.

Thanks !

7 Replies 7

stephan.steiner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Will your boss be happy about that? ;)

Seriously, it's an interesting prospect especially from the technical angle. Since there are no radio stations streaming G.711 you have to look at media transcoding. JMF (http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/index.jsp) is a framework meant for such purposes, however, I'm unaware on its capabilities on receiving online music. So you might have to end up writing a Shoutcast protocol handler (assuming your radio station is shoutcast), or handlers for other protocols (and possibly codecs.. I don't think JMF does AAC or WMA and certainly nothing DRM protected). An alternative would be to record the radio station to a file, and stream it with some delay but I have no idea how recording software and JMF would handle the fact that one is reading from a file while another is still writing to it.

Either way, I'd be very interested to hear if your progress if you go down that road, or what solution framework you have adapted for your solution if you go ahead with the project.

I would like to do this with our music on hold, can you point me in the right direction?

Me to ! But for the moment I don't have time to work on it, if someone does, let me know !

You can always pay the fees to the collection agency.. then it's perfectly legal.

There is this service. I have no experience with it so I can't comment.

http://www.connectps.com/cisco-xml-services-for-ip-phone-streaming-radio.htm

It was written in the pages of destiny that you will deliver the answer 12 years after this question was asked :)

Please rate if you find this helpful.

Regards,
Aeby

Please rate if you find this helpful.

Regards,
Aeby