Views
Helpful
Replies

Location and Gateway

aamercado
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

When or how does the Gateway actually use Location?

If I set location on the phone to one G729 call, it works as design. When I set location on the GW, I can't seem to figure out a scenario for testing whether it works or not.

Also with GW, I get the impression the only time to use location with GW is on remote GW and not central GW.

TIA

6 Replies 6

ptredway
Level 1
Level 1

I'm assuming you're asking about locations in CallManager for CAC.

That being the case, a gateway and a phone will use location based CAC exactly alike. When a call is placed to or received from a gateway, CallManager will decrement the appropriate value from the configured location on the gateway provided the terminating device is remote.

For example, IP phone A (Location A) places a call over the WAN and out gateway B (Location B), bandwidth will be decremented from both sites. I

Does this help?

Exactly, this is very important in Tail End Hop off (TEHO) implementations when you use other site's GW to save cost by sneding the call via remote GW (as a local) instead of local GW (long distance call). You still want to be able to balck or re-route calls based on the available WAN bandwidth.

Please, rate all helpful posts!

Chris

OK..just to clear this up for me.

Simple topology of HQ to remote with 1 729.

Assuming you setup your dp/region appropriately, would you put locations on ONLY the remote's phone/gw or on both HQ/remote's phone/gw?

-I think at minimally, you set up at only the remote

and don't need to do it at the HQ right?

TIA

Well, CAC in CCM is based on hub-spoke topology where usually the HQ has a lot more bandwidth than the remote sites, so it is unlikly that you will not have enough bandwidth at HQ but enough at the remote site. So, I would agree that setting the location bandwith at HQ does not accomplish anything. I usually assign it to unlimited bandwidth location.

Chris

I am having am issue with this. I have a remote site with a gateway that has FXO trunks. My bandwidth for this location is set for 80K. I can only make one call from this site out of the gateway and on the second call I get the "Not enough bandwidth" message. Why would a local gateway call be subtracting from my WAN bandwidth allocation? I have tried the gateway in the default, remote and none location and it does not make any difference. The only way I can place more calls from this site out of it's gateway is to increase the location bandwidth.

Thanks for any advice!

Unfortunately this is how CCM Locations algorithm works, it's not site-to-site bandwidth allocation, it is a TOTAL bandwidth for that site for all calls. Look for RSVP to solve the issue, available in CCM 5.0.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: