cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

location object replication failing

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

We have three sites connected by directory replication. Site A has Unity and is connected to B by replication. Site B is connected to C by replication. Site C has the second Unity. A and C are utilizing Networking but here's the problem. Site A's location object comes into C, but only the name. When looking in the SA only the name is there, no ID and when displayed the right bottom main screen is BLANK (white). Same on site C. The DOH also shows no location ID for the replicated location object whenever displayed in Global mode. My take (guess at this point)is we get the hierarchy from the KCC in Exchange but since the B site doesn't have a Unity folder (and hence no location object to put details in), we miss the actual replication data beneath the object. There are no transport or connectivity issues between sites; additionally, all three are connected via adequate wan connections. <br>All attempts to dial the "remote" location result in no match whether name or extension.<br><br><br>

7 Replies 7

Not applicable

Site A = 1)AD-120 2.4.6.102, NT 4.0, sp6a, exch 5.5, sp4, 2)NT 4.0 sp5, exch 5.5, sp4 (main exch server).
Site B = 1)NT 4.0, sp5, exch 5.5 sp4 (main exch server).
Site C= 1)Ad-120 2.4.6.102, NT 4.0, sp6a, exch 5.5, sp4, 2)NT 4.0 sp5, exch 5.5, sp4 (main exch server).

Directory rep is a<>b<>c utilizing ims's as site connectors.
PBX is NEAX 2000 IVS with Dialogic D/42-NE2 PCI voice boards in the AD-120

What you are seeing is expected in the 2.4.6 version of Unity. You cannot have the location replicated between the sites.
If you want to address the Unity on site C from the Unity on Site A, you will have to add a new location object on the Unity in Site A. You will have to create the name and extension. You can create this location as a Unity location.
I know this is not easy and very limited. That is why the concept of networking was totally rewamped for Unity 3.0 release.
Please read the Networking overview document that is available on Jeff's site - http://www.answermonkey.net. This document does a great job of explaining the new networking architecture as well as has a section that explains the older networking concept and limitations.

Anil Verma
Cisco Systems
anilve@cisco.com

Not applicable

Roger moved the site connector from (A to B) and (B to C) to (A to C) and now everything is working. The issue seems to be that for networking to work in 2.4.6 all sites with Unity have to be replicating directly.

Randy Pierce, MCSE, MCP+Internet, MCP
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Not applicable

Right in response to Randy's reply, specifically a non unity exchange site cannot be in between replicating Unity exchange sites. There must a Directory Replication connector 1-to-1 with Unity sites, non transitive.

Not applicable

Perhaps you misunderstood the situation. I have redirected the directory replication connector so the two sites are "directly connected" and wa la, it works perfect. So it does work as published (Trust me, I think I have Jeff's document memorized as he knows:~))but the rule is you may not have an intermediate site that does not host a Unity.

Not applicable

Additionally, I have checked inter-site replication and we do not appear to be restricting any required attributes.

Anil Verma
Level 5
Level 5

What version of Unity? What version of Exchange?
Are all the sites in the same organisation?

Anil Verma
Cisco Systems
anilve@cisco.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: