Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Locking Down PC Port Configuration

We want to connect a PC or printer to the PC port on a 7960 phone. We have encountered problems in the past with auto negotiate on switch ports for these clients, so we want lock the phone's PC Port down to 10 Mbps half duplex. Is there a global setting in CallManager that we can do this? If not, does anyone know the correct entry to do this if edited from the Network Configuration pane on an individual phone?

Regards,

Earle

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Locking Down PC Port Configuration

To my knowledge this can only be done on each individual phone. I can't remember the exact issue for them doing this but it was something with if you which one would override which or something like that. I know there is a reason you can only do it at the phone just don't remember exactly.

Thank you,

-Mckee

Step 1 Press the Settings button.

Step 2 Use the Navigation button to select Network Configuration.

Step 3 Press the Select soft key.

Step 4 Scroll to PC Port Configuration.

Step 5 Press the Edit soft key.

Step 6 Use the buttons on the dial pad to enter the selected option.

To enter letters, use the numbers associated with a particular letter. For example, the 2 key has the letters ABC. For a lower case "a," press 2 once. Press the 2 key repeatedly to scroll through the available letters and numbers. Pause after the selected letter appears on the screen.

Valid values are as follows:

A (auto negotiate)

10H (10basedT/half duplex)

10F (10basedT/full duplex)

100H (100basedT/half duplex)

100F (100basedT/full duplex)

Step 7 Use the << soft key to correct any mistakes.

Step 8 Press the Validate soft key.

Step 9 Press the Save soft key to save this change.

What about changing the settings on the port on the network switch where the phone is plugged?

We originally did have all of the 3550 switch ports locked down to 10 Mbps, half duplex. We ran into a problem with the 7960 phones failing to reboot after power failure. TAC's work around is to set the serving switch ports to auto-negotiate. We've seen the same type of problem with the same work around on Catalyst 6000 switch ports. As we see it right now, we either need to do a port-by-port management of each closet switch or we standardize on Cisco phones at each desk with the PC port connected/locked down. This will all sort out eventually, but right now the sites are all remote so I need a solution that doesn't need a pair of eyes and hands out there. I'm open for suggestions.

Regards,

Earle

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content