cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Logging in to Active Assistant

myron.johnson
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to use Active Assistant. I have Unity 3.1.5 voicemail only setup. Unity 3.1.5, is in a seperate domain then the rest of the network. When accessing the AA page I enter user and password of phone and get denied. If I go to Active Directory Users and Computers and change the NT password to what the phone password is, I can then log in. What is the issue with this? Is this SOP? Is there a way to get around this?

I also cannot find any documentation on Active Assistant on CCO. Is there a PDF out there for AA, for both Users and Administrators?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also let me know if more info is needed.

1 Reply 1

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The login and password expected for AA/SA access is that of the NT account, not your Unity phone password.

If Unity were in the domain you were authenticating with when you logged in you wouldn't even be prompted for a login/PW pair. Unity uses NTLM which means we get the cretentials from NT via IIS when you hit our web page and we use those to look you up - if IIS sees that you're not from a trusted domain it'll "challange and response" you and you need to provide the NT login and password here so it can pass us your credentials which we'll use to find you in our database.

By changing your NT password to match the phone password (not a good idea) you got in, but not for the reasons you might be assuming.

If you're coming from another domain for whatever reason (really, really, really strongly suggest you deploy Unity in the domain you're users are in if you can do it - it complicates things greatly when folks stuff us in another domain and still want the same ease of access they'd get if we were in the same domain) you can use the GrantUnityAccess tool to create "maps" of users in the domain they're loggin into over to the accounts Unity has to create in our domain for those users. Here's a post with more on that:

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&type=bookmarks&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40.ee88adf/0#selected_message

here's a link to the Unity documentation for 3.1 - the User Guide has a section in there on the use of the AA:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/index.htm

The authentication model is the same for the AA as it is for the SA and the system administration guide covers that - it's in the same spot as above.