cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Long delay when deleting messages

sbl
Level 1
Level 1

there is a documented topic about "Conversation Delay when Deleting Messages in Cisco Unity" and can be found here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a008009406a.shtml

I have this same situation where my remote offices connect to Unity. Though the exchange box is remote to the unity server, the latency is around 40ms. I have experienced up to a 1 minute delay when trying to delete a message. What does anyone know about this issue and a possible fix (other than not moving deleted message to the deleted items folder)

Thanks

5 Replies 5

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

There isn't anything that can be done really. MAPI requires that the message be copied from the inbox to the deleted items folder. It can't be done 'server side' which means that bandwidth/throughput, not roundtrip time, is your bottleneck.

For this reason along with other limitations of MAPI we don't support Unity connecting to an Exchange server over a WAN link. I would highly recommend that QOS be setup between the Exchange server and the Unity server. This should help some with the copy delay and also help to ensure that Unity gets the throughput to Exchange that it requires.

Thanks,

Keith

I just thought of one other thing that might help. If you are using g.711 as the codec you might want to change to g.729 or GSM 6.10. Those are compressed codecs so the message should be much smaller meaning that it will require less throughput to copy. g.729 is compressed at 8/1 and GSM 6.10 is compressed at around 4/1. Note that g.729 will require VMO or the g.729 codec be installed on every workstation if users want to play them back over their speakers. Most every OS can play back GSM 6.10 off the shelf.

You can read about how to change the recording codec here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/whitpapr/codecs.htm#1032979

So maybe QOS and a compressed codec will do the trick for you.

Hope this helps...

Keith

Thanks. I have done the QOS configuration and it did help some but not enough. It just seems odd that a MAPI client such as Outlook doesnt suffer from the same delay. I would hope that MS and Cisco could find some solution since the VOIP solution is supposed to be mobile and this configuration would probably be preferred by most. Do you know if some solution is being investigated?

Believe it or not MAPI clients such as Outlook are actually experiencing the same delay. The main difference is that you hear the delay in your ear, which really makes it stand out. We have worked with Microsoft to try to determine a better method of moving items to the deleted items folder but this is the best they can offer us.

There are a host of improvements that Cisco would like to see Microsoft and IBM make to their messaging products. Application layer QOS is a big one along with more 'server side' operations, etc. Unfortunately these changes are pretty massive and are low on their list of to dos if on the list at all. Because of this we will be changing big portions of the Unity architecture over time to better isolate our product from these external factors.

It would be nice if we could ask them to make changes for us and they would do it but so far that hasn't been the case.

Thanks,

Keith

Outlook definatly does not take as long as Unity. I have never seen an email here take longer than a few seconds, much less a minute, to delete no matter what the attachment size. Anyway, it seems the choices are limited. Disappointing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: