cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lost access permissions

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Somehow my permissions have changed. I am unable to use the Unity system administration tool. It states "Access denied, your windows account is not associated with a unity subscriber." I am using the account I used to setup Unity, I was able to use the tool fine earlier. What do I need to do to get access to this utility again?<br><br>

16 Replies 16

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

If this is 3.0(2) you can use the GrantUnityAccess.exe CLI utility to get access again. If not you can download the 3.0(2) CD and copy the utility over.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Not applicable

We had this same thing happen. It had seemed that the Unity and the Exchange server were not communicating. All we did was reset the Exchange server and everything came back to normal.

Ken Benich
Network Services
School City of Hammond
Hammond, Indiana

Keith, how does this utility work? I found it in the Tech Tools directory and ran it, but I'm still locked out of SA with the 'not associated with a Unity Subscriber' message?

Not applicable

If you run it with no options the instructions should be displayed. The normal use of this tool is to provide the domain\alias of the account you want to give access to the SA and then which account to "copy" those rights from.

So for me I'd enter:

GrantUnityAccess -u MyDOMAIN\lindborg -s Installer -f

The Installer account is a special account that always has admin rights but isn't created in the directory itself (it's local to the SQL db only). This should always work to get you into the SA.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Do you have to use GrantUnityAccess for every domain account you want to grant access to the SA frontend? Should the account that installs unity already have access to the SA? After installing Unity, I had to use GrantUnityAccess on the account that installed Unity before I could access the SA.

Robbie Allen

Not applicable

no, you only need to use GrantUnityAccess if you can't get into the SA and you need to back door in. Normally you add subscribers to the "Administrator" class of service (or another COS you may have setup with SA access rights) and then those accounts can get into the SA.

There's some cases where the install account isn't properly added as a subscriber with admin rights on the fly as it should be and folks need to use GrantUnityAccess to gain inital access to the SA. This isn't the normal mechanism for doing this, however.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Any steps i can take to troubleshoot why the install account didn't get the necessary access?

Robbie Allen

ajones
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Okay I have followed this link and got the grantunityaccess util.. ran it and I still get no access...Help please

Amy Jones
Senior Systems Analyst
AAC Associates
703-918-6394

Not applicable

Make sure you're granting rights to an account that exists as a subscriber... this is the most common error I get. The Administrator account you installed Unity with may not have been automatically created as a subscriber, especially if this was an upgrade or there had been a previous installation of Unity or you've used that same account to do another Unity install elsewhere in the directory etc... several scenarios can lead to this. As such if you're running GrantUnityAccess and giving installer permissions for the Administrator account, it'll report success (since it's just twiddling with the SID history on the account, not messing with Unity's SQL tables) and you still can't get in.

another tact is to use GrantUnityAccess on an account you know is a subscriber (you can check DOHPropTest to pick one for sure) and then log in with that account. You can set IE up to prompt for login/PW and do it that way or whatever... I've done this on a few sites when in a pickle.

GrantUnityAccess definitely works every time if you're tickling an account setup as a subscriber.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

ajones
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

that makes sense...the account I used to install unity is not a subscriber..so i will use a definite subscriber. I put the grantunityacces util in the commserver directory...
I run it from a cmd prompt in that directory...

grantunityaccess -u domain\(suscriber I want to grant access to) installer -f.....right.. and then log on to the machine as this user or just make ie prompt for password...

Amy Jones
Senior Systems Analyst
AAC Associates
703-918-6394

ajones
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey one thing jeff...if i cant get the grantunityaccess to work if I upgrade to 3.1 will that help at all?

Amy Jones
Senior Systems Analyst
AAC Associates
703-918-6394

Not applicable

All versions of 3.x should work the same here... an upgrade isn't going to help since this isn't really a bug to be fixed.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

ajones
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Got it...thanks

Amy Jones
Senior Systems Analyst
AAC Associates
703-918-6394

How can i get this File GrantUnityAccess.exe . The Whole 3.0(2) CD is not available for download. We are locked out, please help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: