Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Lync 2013 Cisco Cups 8.6.4 XMPP Federation

Hello,

I am trying to test XMPP federation inside my organization between Lync 2013 and CUPS 8.6.4. There are two forests, there are no firewalls between forests. Lync is in one forest, CUPS in the other. DNS resolution on port 5269 in both direction is ok. However I have IM working in just one direction from Lync to CUPS and there is no presence in any direction at all. Logs on CUPS says:

XMPPServerOutDir: Could not resolve 'test-edge.test.local' using SRV _xmpp-server._tcp. Failing the outbound connection.
Dec  4 09:54:13 cups-led-01 local7 6 cm: b433ab90| INFO | XMPPServerOutDir: Could not resolve 'test-edge.test.local' using SRV _jabber._tcp. Failing the outbound connection.
Dec  4 09:54:13 cups-led-01 local7 6 cm: b433ab90| INFO | XMPPServerOutDir: Resolved 'test-edge.test.local' using port 5269.
Dec  4 09:54:13 cups-led-01 local7 6 cm: b463cb90| INFO | XMPPSoutTranscoder{9B711EE7B7}: Unexpected response on connection to 'test-edge.test.local' during dialback: <stream:error xmlns:stream='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-streams'><stream:host-unknown/></stream:error>

Of course first reaction could be there is DNS issue, but if i go to CUPS terminal I see that DNS is ok.

admin:utils network host _xmpp-server._tcp.test.local srv

Local Resolution:

Nothing found

External Resolution:

_xmpp-server._tcp.test.local has SRV record 1 0 5269 test-edge.test.local.

I would really apreciate if someone has any idea what to do.

5 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

Re: Lync 2013 Cisco Cups 8.6.4 XMPP Federation

Actually, the first few lines appear to be complaining that it can't find _xmpp-server._tcp.test-edge.test.local. Is it possible that you have the domain defined one level too low in CUPS admin? The third line appears to be XCP falling back to an A record lookup instead of SRV which works.

The last line is where it seems to break down. Apparently CUPS doesn't like something about the dialback secret. It's not clear to me whether it's angry about Lync's formatting of the response or the fact that it doesn't line up with DNS. Perhaps try straightening out the domain in CUPS to be just test.local and see if the first few lines clear up. After that it's going to take a review of the XMPP traffic to see if you can spot what logically doesn't fit.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or

Jonathan,

thank you very much for your opinion. Now I will try to explain my architecture a little bit deeper. CUPS is in different forest/domain than Lync. So CUPS domain does not share DNS namespace with Lync domain at all, like test.local for Lync domain and rs.prod for CUPS. I am trying to make interdomain federation. I have DNS servers in test.local and DNS servers in rs.prod. If I try nslookup from my machine to see DNS resolution of srv record of  _xmpp-server._tcp of any domain everything is fine and I can see both Lync and Cups server. To be honest I am worried with

admin:utils network host _xmpp-server._tcp.test.local srv

Local Resolution:

Nothing found

External Resolution:

_xmpp-server._tcp.test.local has SRV record 1 0 5269 test-edge.test.local.

What does it mean Local Resolution on CUPS, I suppose must be some host file somewhere, but I cannot change any record in it. DNS External Resolution looks fine, why in that case CUPS does not use External Resolution???

VIP Super Bronze

What does it mean Local Resolution on CUPS

That's the local HOSTS file which you don't have access to. The only time you'll see a result there is when looking up other CUPS cluster nodes or CUCM cluster nodes.

What does the XMPP Federation config look like? Did you build the other domain as "test.local"?

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or

There are five screens from my presence server above. If you need anything else just ask.

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies