cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mailbox disappears

mgrainey
Level 1
Level 1

On a 2.4.6 Unity w/ NT4 and Xchg 5.5 joined w/ Exchanges 2000 email server the administrator claims that he added a user on Friday AM and in the afternoon it was missing , so he imported it again and the same thing happened on Monday. When I dialed in, the Mailbox was existing aand had a "created on" of Friday. I cannot find anything wrong, has anyone ever heard of this before??

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There were some similiar sounding issues with the mailbox being hidden in the address book in Exchange causing Unity problems with showing that guy in the SA - these were fixed along the way but the description sounds familiar - you might check to see if they have anything like that goine on. Also, if the allow rich text flag is being toggled by an external process (i.e. a security sweep app) it'd cuase Unity's synch process to remove that guy as a subscriber in the cache for 2.x - I've seen that on a few sites.

If Unity is showing the guy as a subscriber and then they dissapear in 2.x it's almost always a situation where a property didn't write through on the mail user in Exchange and the next synch sweep caused that subscriber to "drop out" of the cache. In 2.x we didn't have the SQL database, just a small text based cache that was synced with the Ex55 directory every 10 minutes or so.

I checked to make sure that the exchange accounts are not flagged as hidden but cannot find the setting "allow rich text" , Could you give me more detail on turning this setting on or off ?? Also, are there any other possible settings that would cause this problem, in case we find that the rich text isn't flagged?

you have to go into Exchange 5.5's "raw mode" - open the Exchange administrator with the "-r" command line flag. You can then view raw properties on users by selecting that option from the menus or hitting cntrl-enter.

There's no other snappy properties to check right off hand - if the user is still "falling out" of the cache after the 10 minute sync cycle (did you verify that was the case?) you'll need to open a TAC case and turn on some diags for some engineering types to look over - something isn't being allowed or is missing on the Exchange directory end of things that's causing the updates of that user to not take.