Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Mailbox limits

Is it true that if I set an individual mailbox Limits to "use information store defaults" then the subscriber will hear Unity tell them their mailbox is full or nearly full?<br><br>Is it by design that the individual mailboxes in the Private Information Store do not have their Limits property set to "use information store defaults"? I ask because the size limits are set in the General section of the Private Information Store, and because of this I had subscribers that were unable to leave messages in other subscribers mailboxes due to the fact that they were not being notified that their mailbox was full. It seems to me (exchange novice for sure) that my current set up is half baked, or did I miss some basic set up item?<br><br><br><br><br>

5 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Mailbox limits

OK… long and sorted answer to this one.

When we create a user via the SA or import we didn't used to create/set the “Use IS Defaults” flag at all. You can see (or not see as the case may be) this property in the raw properties via the Exchange admin interface.

Exchange 5.5 used to consider this property missing as meaning to use the IS defaults for the mailbox limits. If you wanted to over ride it, you’d add the property and set it to 1 and then include the specific limits you wanted. When SP2 or SP3 for Ex55 came out this logic flipped on us. If the property is missing entirely, Exchange takes this to mean the user has no limits at all on the back end (i.e. the part that enforces such things). However it shows the option as checked in the admin. Oops.

When we asked Exchange if the user had limits, it would come back and tell us no. However on the back end it still enforces this (hence the situation you’re seeing). Bad logic on both sides of the pond… Exchange should be consistent here and we should have explicitly created and set that property to avoid any confusion.

This was fixed in Unity 3.1 (actually I think it was fixed in 3.0(3) but I’m not entirely certain, I’d have to check). The fix wasn’t ported back to 2.x, unfortunately.

You can address the problem by unchecking the “Use information store defaults” and then checking it again in the Exchange adim. This will force the property to be created and then set to 1.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

Can you please expand on your words...
"You can address the problem by unchecking the “Use information store defaults” and then checking it again in the Exchange adim. This will force the property to be created and then set to 1."

Are you refering to an individual's mailbox properties?
Is this action performed in raw mode?

On an individual's mailbox, I can already see the 'use IS store defaults" check box, but it is unchecked for all mailboxes.

Anonymous
N/A

no, you don't need to do raw mode... if the boxes are already unchecked you need to check them (assuming you want them to use the IS defaults and not provide individual limits on a per user basis).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Scenario (Unity 2.4.6):

Subscriber A has reached their storage limits and can longer send messages. Subscriber A calls Subscriber B and leaves a voicemail which Subscriber B never receives because Subscriber A is over their message storage limit.

What happens or where does that message end up that subscriber A tried to leave.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cisco Employee

What should happen here if the sender's inbox if full and Exchange does not allow sends from that mailbox is Unity should send that message as an unidentified caller message (i.e. as if the message came from an outside caller, not an internal subscriber). In that case the message is sent from the "Unity Messaging System" account on the local Unity Exchange 5.5 box instead of from the sending subscriber's mailbox as would normally be the case here.

There was a bug along these lines (CSCdu52956) where this did not work properly in versions prior to 2.4.6(135) so be sure you're at a recent release of 2.4.6.

Views
Helpful
Replies