Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Malfunctioning IP 7940 and 7960

We have been using Cisco IP telephony for about 4 months within our company. We have CM 3.3, Unity VM, and about 300 7940 & 7960 within our company. I don't know if anyone else is still having this problem, but it seems that about 4 phones a month all of a sudden just stop working. Our PCs are plugged into the PC port on the back of these phones. When the phone goes out, the user cannot log onto his/her PC either. Every step possible has been taken to try to troubleshoot why these phones are malfunctioning. I have had to send out about 22 phones already back to our outsourcing partner for replacement. For these phones being $300-$400, we should not have this kind of problem with this technology from Cisco, the biggest name in IP Telephony. Does anyone have a solution, or maybe a reason, why these phones are acting the way they do?

I have swithced the malfunctioning phones to different ports, device pools, routers, etc etc. Nothing brings them back up.

Is there something in CM that will help with diagnostics?

Hope someone can help.

2 REPLIES

Re: Malfunctioning IP 7940 and 7960

I've not known of anything in Call Manager that can diagnose such things. What model of switch is powering the phones (or are they being powered by AC)? Is it phones on the same ports, blades or switches that are getting damaged? Generally damage to the switched port on the phones is power related, in my experience.

Silver

Re: Malfunctioning IP 7940 and 7960

This does sound unusual. Is there anything unusual about the environment they are being used in ?

Hopefully you or the outsourcers have a smartnet contract on all this equipment , you can then call the TAC, arrange RMA's on the faulty handsets and the faulty handsets can be analysed at the factory to determine the fault. If they are just being sent back as faulty no one in the TAC will know they need to be analsyed.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content