Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Manage upgrade process

I recently upgraded a huge site (1000+ phones) to CM 3.3(2). The three call managers are at the central site and all the phones from remote sites update their load information across the WAN which is 2 Mg bandwidth. Apparently the phones just stuck in upgrading software for over an hour and at the end of it an error "TFTP timeout" was on the phones. I would like to ask how do we manage the migration process so that the downtime for a phone is only limit to 5 minutes? At the end of the migration process when all the phones are up I found that some phones still contains the old load information. Is this normal?

1 REPLY
Gold

Re: Manage upgrade process

Best practice, and key to minimizing phone downtime, is to follow the recommended cluster upgrade sequence as shown here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00800945ca.shtml#threeservers

Upgrading the publisher and then backup call processing CallManager before the primary call processing CallManager is key. Doing the publisher first is absolutely required. If you then upgrade the primary call processing CallManager (where all your phones are homed to), then through the various upgrade and reboot processes, you will run into a situation where phones will fail over and fail back more than once, and spend an excessive amount of time upgrading and downgrading and upgrading again their firmware.

It's difficult to say why your phones took an hour to upgrade. You may have had issues with your TFTP server, or if you had a few hundred phones at the end of that 2MB/s link, it's possible it could have been overloaded for a short time.

If you were coming from CallManager 3.1 with certain broken phone loads, you could have run into CSCdy11226 (I sure did!). This makes the phones take at least 13 minutes to go through the upgrade process, and since sometimes the phones have to go through it up to 3 times, it takes up to about 45 minutes for the phone to come up under the new load. CSCdy11226 applies to the load you're coming _from_, not the loads you were upgrading to.

Views
Helpful
Replies