Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum percentage of Voice Traffic

VoipRocks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

What is the maximum percentage of bandwidth that can be configured for Voice traffic out of the total bandwidth of the INTERFACE? Assuming there will only be Voice and signalling trafic on the link.

So for example we have a 1Gb link, is there a limitation on what percentage of out of the bandwidth on the link can be configured for Voice streams?

Thanks guys

Regds,

TF

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you only have media and signaling on a link, you do not really any percentage bandwidth, for practical reasons.

Also, on gigabit links, you do not need any QoS, because these links are never congested, but if they are, you have a biggest problem than QoS can solve.

Makes sense :)

Thanks!!

TF

I'm happy, because mine was really a terse explication.

In other words, if a link carries voice only (whatever its speed), you need to make sure that the maximum number of calls that it can support, is never exceeded, [i]before[/i] the call goes on the link. Admittedly, when using VAD and different codecs, that is impossible to do with a simple capacity counter.

CAC feature of H.323 does an attempt in that sense.

Also, it quite useless to worry much about protecting signalling, because even if a packet is lost, it will be reset after a short timeout.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"What is the maximum percentage of bandwidth that can be configured for Voice traffic out of the total bandwidth of the INTERFACE?"

All or almost all. If there's only voice traffic on the link, there's little need to prioritize except for voice bearer over signalling. You also need to insure there's sufficient bandwidth.

Link bandwidth doesn't really factor into the QoS beyond whether the link will congest or not.