Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

MCS-7815-I1-CC2/IPC3 SATA RAID problem

HI there, my IBM MCS 7815 server does not boot when i enable SATA raid in BIOS. The documentation recommends to turn it on but when i do i get a STOP error at OS startup. Does anybody know how to solve this?

Thanks in advance,

Jayz

6 REPLIES

Re: MCS-7815-I1-CC2/IPC3 SATA RAID problem

Could you please post the exact error that you are getting? Thx

Hi and thanks for helping. The error i'm getting is

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF682384C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) Inaccessible_boot_device.

I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue as it only happens when i turn on SATA RAID in BIOS. The system boots up fine if i switch it off.

I performed the installation after i turned the RAID on and it installs fine but then throws up that error while booting Win2k.

Thanks,

Jayz

0x0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

0×0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

The system cannot access the boot device. Often, this message signifies a disk controller

configuration problem or an error in accessing the hard disk. This clearly indicates that

Windows has lost access to the system partition during startup.

Another possible cause is that, during initialization of the I/O system, the driver for

the boot device failed to initialize the boot device (device not available, SCSI error).

Another possibility is that the file system could not recognize the data on the boot

device. The message also might mean that a virus has infected the boot sector.

I recommend you to open a case with us for further troubleshooting.

//Jorge

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for the reply. I did open up a case with TAC and was told that the MCS 7815 does not support SATA RAID (although the option is available in BIOS) :o(

Cheers,

Jayz

Green

Hi Jayz,

As a side note you are totally correct.

This is not supported by us:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/voiceapp/ps378/products_data_sheet0900aecd801c1e65.html

Quote:

" 80GB SATA hard disk drive "

If it doesn't say RAID in there means that while you can get an extra drive an enable it it will not work cause the OS image that ships doesn't have the

driver. Most likely it would not work and even if it does (by loading the driver manually) it will not be supported.

So in short the 7815's can do RAID 1 but we don't support it

7815 has always been the low end server.

//G

This is stupid in such a important server. Why not releas drivers to make use of built in raid? I bet IBM already have drivers that work on windows 2000 for the controller.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content