Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

MCS7825-H1 SATA Raid 1

Hi!

I have two 7825-H1 MCS servers with Callmanager software running. I intend to perform some upgrades on these servers and I would like to know the procedure for taking out one of the drives, upgrading and then replacing the drive again.

1. Which drive should be taken out?

2. Assuming the upgrade goes according to plan and I replace the removed drive will it sync with the intstalled drive?

3. Is there any danger of the non upgraded drive becoming the "master" and effectively down grading the system again?

4. If the upgrade fails and I have to boot on the old disk will replacing the upgraded disk down grade it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: MCS7825-H1 SATA Raid 1

1. Disk 1, ID1

2. Yes

3. Only if you were to boot to disk 1 (the one you removed) after upgrading disk 0 and then insert disk 0. This would not happen if you reinserted disk 1 after upgrading disk 0.

4. Yes

Please take a look at the following document.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/voiceapp/ps378/products_tech_note09186a00800942b4.shtml#upgrade

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

4 REPLIES

1. Disk 1, ID1

2. Yes

3. Only if you were to boot to disk 1 (the one you removed) after upgrading disk 0 and then insert disk 0. This would not happen if you reinserted disk 1 after upgrading disk 0.

4. Yes

Please take a look at the following document.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/voiceapp/ps378/products_tech_note09186a00800942b4.shtml#upgrade

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Hi all,

For backup purposes, I want to insert a blank drive and have the data mirrored. Do I have to insert a harddisk with exact brand/model/speed as the one inside the server?

Steven

Hi,

Regarding MCS-7825-H1 (SATA controller its NOT hot pluglable) i read that before an upgrade if want to taking of one drive i have to insert a spare disk. Is that true?

If its not true and if upgrade fails what is the process of reverting back?

Best Regrads,

MC

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Marco,

Here is some info that explains this process;

Serviceable SATA Disk Drives

The Cisco MCS 7825-H1 is configured with two 80GB serial advanced technology attachment (SATA) "cold-pluggable" disk drives configured in a RAID 1 mirror set. The server continues to operate if either of the two disk drives fails. The SATA disk drives are accessible to the end user through openings in the front bezel of the server. If a drive fails, the end user can schedule server downtime, power down the server, and replace the failed SATA drive by simply removing it (each drive is equipped with a front latch that positively mates the drive to the server) and replacing it with an un-configured spare drive. After restarting the server, the RAID 1 firmware initiates a re-mirroring of the new drive to ensure that drive redundancy on the Cisco MCS 7825-H1 is maintained.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/voiceapp/ps378/products_data_sheet0900aecd801c12d2.html

Recover from Upgrade Failure on Cisco CallManager

You can replace cold pluggable drives when the power is OFF. Assume, for example, that you are about to do an upgrade on your Cisco CallManager system. As a precaution, you take disk 1, ID 1 out of the array. You perform the upgrade on disk 0, ID 0. The upgrade fails.

This procedure outlines the steps to take in order to go back to the original configuration (disk 1).

Bring the server down.

Take disk 0, ID 0 out of the server.

Insert disk 1, ID 1 with the good configuration into the array.

Boot the server with this disk.

At the bootup window, press F2: "Interim Recovery mode will be enabled if configured for fault tolerance".

Note: Always place the disk in the slot from which you have removed the disk.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/voiceapp/ps378/products_tech_note09186a00800942b4.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content