Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MCS7825-H2 SATA Raid disk replacement / insertion

Hi All,

I have the following situation. The CCM5 publisher is running on MCS7825-H2 with SATA disk Raid. One disk, containing a valid system configuration, was removed from the server for data safety reason and the server was rebooted with a single disk. Now, after the publisher has been working with the single disk for a while, we need to bring the second disk back into the system. As far as I understand to do this I need to power the server down< insert the second disk and power the system on again. What do I need to do to ensure the the server will boot-up from the correct disk (the one which was already plugged in) and not the new one (which is a valid disk as well)? What do I need to do to initiate mirroring the correct configuration to the newly inserted disk?

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

beth-martin
Level 5
Level 5

Use the Array Configuration Utility from the SmartStart and Support Software CD.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/voiceapp/ps378/products_tech_note09186a00800942b4.shtml

Unfortunately this is not applicable to CCM5 which is Linux based.

espereir
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Alex,

I understand that you have a HP 7825 MCS server with a SATA disk RAID and you would like to put the second disk in order to update the backup, actually, since you have installed CCM 5.X with Cisco disks you already the RAID and the Controler are initialized, this is a RAID 1+0 configuration so you just need to turn off the server and then add the new drive to the duplex bay, after the starting the server the RAID Controller will start replicating the data to the second drive.

It will bootup from the 1st disk (known at HP as single slot), the second disk should be inserted on the Duplex slot.

BTW, you can use the HP SmartStart CD in order to verify the controller and RAID settings. Just bootup from that disk.

Hope this answer your questions.

Hello,

Thanks a lot for the answer. I have two hard-drive slots in my 7825. Which one is "single slot" and which one is "duplex slot"?

Did you get an answer to this.

This does however beg the question , what happens if the master disk dies.

The only way I can see this working is introducing the spare drive once the system is up.

Any Ideas??

Did anybody action this and did it work?

As far as I can tell, shutting down the server to do this is poor in way SATA RAID is designed, but they like it as it is cheaper than SCSI which you can do hot-plug with server switched on, as I will have convince customer;

This is expected behaviour and you need to shut the server down to make it work.

Cheers,

NeilW